Cultural Anthropology 101
posted by mandy .
Theocracies are: (Points : 1)
9A)****determined by the religious beliefs of the society.
based on the accumulation of wealth by individuals.
a group of elected officials.
are sanctioned by Big Men.
2. Chiefs within chiefdoms generally gained their positions: (Points : 1)
by conquering a people.
there is too much variation between cultures to come up with a generalization.
3. In pastoral societies women’s sexuality is controlled in a variety of ways, including restricting their movements. (Points : 1)
4. With Pastoralists, the patterns of movement are not random but cyclical. (Points : 1)
5. Grazing lands among pastoralists are usually: (Points : 1)
(A)**** highly productive lands that could be used for agriculture.
owned by individual families.
located within a day’s walk from people’s farming territories.
6. Horticultural societies are commonly matrilineal / matrilocal but, MOST pastoral societies are patrilineal / patrilocal. (Points : 1)
7. Which environment is least likely to be inhabited by pastoralists? (Points : 1)
8. One factor limiting the distribution of pastoralists is: (Points : 1)
the inability of the animals to adapt to diverse environments like humans can.
the reluctance of cultivators to allow pastoralists entrance to their territories.
(C)**** that herding is less productive way of using land in areas suitable for cultivation.
the scarcity of suitable pasture lands.
9. Which position of leadership is an ascribed position? (Points : 1)
10. An etic perspective of kula exchanges would be: (Points : 1)
it allows people from different islands to interact with each other.
it raises the prestige of the chiefs.
****(C)it provides an opportunity for the trade in food and other resources providing materials unavailable in people’s home islands.
it allows men to meet their future wives.
5, 7 are wrong.
I don't know about 10.
The others appear to be right.
I have read and re read each area of the book and I don't get it for # 10 its like its between the answer I gave and (B)
7(D) least likely
I agree with your answers for 5 and 7 now.
I think C is probably right.
7 is C/tropical forests
Thanks for the assistance!!!! ANT is killing me but again Thanks Ms.Sue
Was your choice for question 2 correct? I would have chosen D, but C would have been a close second.
I'd be interested in knowing the result.
@ Writeacher yes it was correct. A lot of the answers were a bit confusing to me like you I had thought the same thing.
I keep thinking of all the conquering that went on ... in Japan, in China, in India and that whole part of Asia, in various parts of Europe, in Egypt, and on and on.
And yet there were all those dynasties! That question would have been a real toss-up for me!
Thanks for letting me know. =)
social and political structure of the colonies and other pertinent factors