biology

How do melosis and sexual reproduction (fertilization) produce offspring that differ genetically from the parents?

  1. 👍
  2. 👎
  3. 👁
  1. First off, it is Meiosis, which deals with the reproduction of sex cell- mitosis deals with somatic (body) cells
    okay now to your question. Each Parent carries a gene well not one more like 46 (somatic)but in Meiosis only 23. Each gene or Alleles which are traits or copies of that same gene are transfered in meiosis. A Dominant gene is an alleles that is carried more prominantly in the gene, example brown eyes is a dominant gene which is why more people have brown eyes. A Recessive gene is a alleles that is carried less prominantly in the gene (same scenario as the Dominant gene) but for example blue eyes is a recessive gene and that is why there aren't many blue eyed people. Now I'm sure your asking: How do you know what is Dominant and Recessive well a fellow by the name of Reginald Punnett a Pea Plant farmer came up with what is now known today as - you guessed it- the Punnett Square.
    This is a simple graphical way to determine all the potential combinations of genotypes in everything living. (He used it to breed healthier taller Pea Plants) A Genotype is the genitic makeup of something or someone AKA Alleles. Im going to give you an easy example.
    I have a Recessive gene Red hair.
    I will have this as {rr} in the Punnett Square.
    My b/f has a Dominant gene Brown hair. I will have this {BB} in the Punnett Sqaure.
    Here is the the Punnett Sqaure set-up(imagine this as a grid) Put the genotype of one parent on the side and the other at the top,

    [B] [r]
    -----------------------------
    [B] [ BB ] [ Br ]
    ------------------------------

    [r] [Br ] [ rr ]
    -------------------------------

    ok let my explain. [Br] represents that Brown hair is dominant over Red and visa versa. My grid shows that our children have a possibility of 25% completley Dominant [BB] brown hair gene 50% [Br] which shows that brown is dom. over red and 25% Recessive [rr] red hair. It basically shows that 75% of chance is our child will have brown hair and only 25% will have red hair.
    Of course there are many possibilities my example shows the most easiest form.
    I hope I answered your question; I know it is confusing but if you still don't understand google punnett square and most sites can help you better understand this.

    1. 👍
    2. 👎
  2. the grid should be set us like this
    B r

    B BB Br

    r Br RR

    i don't know why it set up like it did but it should look like this

    1. 👍
    2. 👎

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. Science

    1. Which of the following traits is acquired A. the number of petals that grow in a plant's flowers B. the wing shape of a wild bird C. the ability of some gorillas to use sign language D. a cheetah's ability to run faster than

  2. science help!!!

    1. Seahorses change color and swim together in predetermined ways before mating. These behaviors are called (1 point) asexual reproduction. sexual reproduction. courtship rituals. budding. 2. A male peacock displays his colorful

  3. Science! Help!!

    What would happen if gametes were not haploid? A. If gametes were not haploid, the offspring would have half the number of chromosomes it is supposed to have. B. If gametes were not haploid, the offspring would have double the

  4. Science

    3. A gene is to a chromosome as? A.)A pea is to a pod**** B.)A front is to a back C.)A bike is to a car D.)A building is to a window 4.What is heredity? A.)Is acquired later in life B.)The study of reproduction C.)The process of

  1. Science

    1.)Seahorse change color & swim together in predetermined ways before mating. these behaviors are called? A.)Asexual reproduction B.)Sexual Reproduction C.)Courtship Rituals D.)Budding 2.)A male peacock displays his colorful tail

  2. Biology

    For a male and female bison that are both heterozygous for normal skin pigmentation to produce an albino offspring.... 1. What are genotype of parents (A= normal skin, a=albino) AA x AA Aa x Aa * aa x aa 2. what are possible

  3. Science! URGENT

    Bacteria can reproduce through asexual or sexual reproduction. Environmental conditions for a particular bacteria species are good and the bacteria are thriving. Which form of reproduction will the bacteria most likely use? A. The

  4. biology

    What environmental conditions would favor sexual reproduction? What environmental conditions would favor asexual reproduction? Organism - sexual reproduction - gonads asexual reproduction - honeybees - Is pillbugs an asexually

  1. Science

    Select the statement that is true.(1 point) Sexual reproduction produces more offspring than asexual reproduction. Asexual reproduction is a simpler process than sexual reproduction. Sexual reproduction requires a single parent.

  2. science

    Which of the following characteristics are true for both plants' and animals' reproduction? A. alternation of generation B. They carry hereditary material from parent. C. characterized by sexual reproduction D. The offspring looks

  3. Science

    ok I really need help on this I'm so stupid Directions: Imagine you have a butterfly population that consists of red- and blue- winged butterflies. The butterfly population you produce will live in a heavily vegetated area with

  4. Science please help I've been on this for hours

    Inherited traits are passed down from our parents to us, their offspring, by the information that is coded in our parents' A) RNA. B) antibodies. C) chromosomes. D) plasma. Your gender, whether you are male or female, is

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.