posted by Darkiplier
Choose the meaning of the bold word for questions 1–4.
1. He had left school in junior high, "ostensibly" because his mother was ill. (“Delfino II: Diez in the Desert") (1 point)
2. And I throbbed with a burning desire / To travel this "immensity". (“Your World") (1 point)
3. [T]he Last Poets "embodied" black power. (“Hip-Hop Planet") (1 point)
4. What happens to a dream "deferred"? (“Harlem II") (1 point)
Identify the choice that best describes the underlined word or phrase for questions 5–7.
5. The Statue of Liberty has stood for more than 100 years in New York Harbor. (1 point)
6. Frédéric Bartholdi, the sculptor, came up with the concept of a “mighty woman with a torch” as he sailed into the harbor. (1 point)
7. The huge statue was shipped in 214 separate cases, then assembled in New York. (1 point)
Identify the choice that best describes the underlined verb or verbal phrase for questions 8–10.
8. Bowling is the top participation sport in the U.S. today, with 53 million players. (1 point)
9. One form of bowling, found in Scotland, involves heaving a ball at the pins and flopping down faceforward. (1 point)
gerund phrase *
none of the above
10. To score accurately, bowlers must learn what the terms spare, strike, and split mean. (1 point)
adverb phrase *
none of the above
Identify the grammar problem in question 11.
11. A cool, pine-scented breeze. (1 point)
none of the above*
Identify the choice that best describes the underlined clause for questions 12–15.
12. Throughout history, birds have been considered important symbols and omens. (1 point)
adverb clause *
13. In Europe, where winters are long and hard, cuckoos are considered a sign of spring. (1 point)
adjective clause *
14. Many people believe that storks symbolize good luck and welcome stork nests on their chimneys. (1 point)
15. Doves, which are considered symbols of peace and beauty, are related to plain old pigeons. (1 point)
16. Which of the following sentences is punctuated correctly? (1 point)
Were you aware, that Daylight Savings Time begins tomorrow?
What most people do, is change their clocks in the morning, not the night before.
How you choose to wake up tomorrow, is up to you. *
I hope that you do not oversleep, or we will be late for school.
Identify the choice that best describes the sentences for questions 17–19.
17. Even before telescopes were invented, humans were interested in astronomy. (1 point)
This item has been reviewed and is scheduled to be updated. All students will receive full credit for any response to the following.
18. Galileo, the first astronomer to use a telescope, confirmed the theory that the earth and planets circle the sun. (1 point)
19. Halley’s comet should return in the year 2061. (1 point)
Am I wrong on any of these? k Thanks!
4 is wrong.
5 - 15 -- nothing is underlined or marked.
16 - 19 are wrong.