posted by Catalena .
1. Which of the following is a specific word as opposed to a general word?
2. Choose the topic that best limits the broad subject music.
A. Famous pianist
B. Modern rap music
C. History of the harmonica
D. History of the star spangled banner***
3. Which of the following is the most negative connotation of the word absconded?
4. Which prefix would you add to MODERATELY to make the word meaning "not moderately"?
5. On a Works Cited page, which of the following should NOT be in italics?
A. title of an article***
B. title of a periodical
C. title of a newspaper
D. title of a non-fiction book
6. Identify the sentence in which the underlined verb does NOT agree with the subject.
A. Everyone on the team WORKS together well.
B. Both of them ARE LOOKING forward to the field trip.
C.Neither of the boys IS EXCITED about playing football.***
D. One of the girls ARE going to enter the singing contest.
7. Identify the sentence in which the underlined verb does NOT agree with the subject.
A. The trophies ARE ready to be awarded.
B. There IS no reason why he cannot play.
C. Most of these math questions ARE easy.
D. The softball and baseball team IS ready.***
8. Latanya and __ are getting ready to go camping at the lake.
9. Though they were hungry, both Mara Lee and Roman stayed for __ meeting.
C. his or her
10. The best player to watch is __?
11. One of the female players left __ hat in the locker room.
12. Why might an author use a metaphor to enhance the meaning of fiction or poetry?
A. to create an image in readers' mind.***
B. to represent a larger thought or idea.
C. to give a story or poem a song-like quality.
D. to help set the mood of the story or poem.
13. Which phrase best defines an epic simile?
A. a figure in speech in which one thing is spoken of as if it were something else.
B. a literary technique that involves differences between meaning and intention.***
C. a work created in imitation of another.
D. a long, elaborate comparison between two dissimilar actions or objects.