posted by Henry2 .
Can you please check my sentences? Thank you very much for your invaluable help. Which sentence (2 or 3) paraphrases the concept of sleep?
1) Sleep is imagined as a bath after heavy work, in which the body can relax and recover from injury.
2) Sleep is then compared to a little death, which comes at the end of each day.
3) "Will all great Neptune's ocean wash this blood Clean from my hand? No, this my hand will rather The multitudinous seas incarnadine, Making the green one red.” illustrates how no amount of water (of the ocean) could clean (wash away) Macbeth’s guilty conscience. Nothing can make his hands innocent. He will bring corruption to all he comes in contact with.
4) He imagines that all of the water from the ocean could not clean his hands of the burden of guilt that weighed so heavily on his tormented mind. He pictures Duncan’s blood staining the entire ocean red.
5) The blood on his hands is on the one hand symbolic of the evil crime he has (had) committed and on the other hand is a representative of Macbeth's guilt which cannot be escaped/cleared.
3) Why is Clean capitalized?
5) rather than "is a representative" either "is a representation" OR "is representative" (noun vs adjective)...
I'd say that #3 does NOT paraphrase sleep but #2 does.
I don't know if anyone compared sleep to death, but Jesus did compare death to sleep!