college philosophy

posted by .

A commander faces a battlefield mobility situation. He has three feasible routes, R1, R2 and R3. The payoffs of his choice will be determined by weather conditions W1, W2 and W3. The best result is to gain 200 miles and the worst result is to lose 160 miles. The commander is indifferent between a 60 mile gain, and an 80% chance of gaining 200 miles with a 20% chance of losing 160 miles. He is also indifferent between a 100 mile loss and an 80% chance of losing 160 miles and a 20% chance of gaining 200 miles. The probabilities of weather events occur are the following: P(W1)=0.6; P(W2)=0.3; P(W3)=0.1

Mileage payoff table
W1 W2 W3
R1 200 -160 60
R2 60 60 60
R3 -100 200 60

If the commander maximizes expected utility, which route will he choose?

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. philosophy

    For some philosophers, writing is an unfortunate necessity, a means of communication that is at best irrelevant to the philosophical thought it expresses and at worst a barrier to that thought. The words in which the philosophical …
  2. philosophy

    For some philosophers, writing is an unfortunate necessity, a means of communication that is at best irrelevant to the philosophical thought it expresses and at worst a barrier to that thought. The words in which the philosophical …
  3. sociology

    i want to know if these 2 questions are the same, To what extent is there social mobility in modern britain ?
  4. MATH - Probability

    A commander faces a battlefield mobility situation. He has three feasible routes, R1, R2 and R3. The payoffs of his choice will be determined by weather conditions W1, W2 and W3. The best result is to gain 200 miles and the worst result …
  5. social studies

    Almost done ..What are two of the qualities that made Stonewall Jackson an outstanding battlefield Commander ?
  6. PHI 103

    Will someone please confirm my answers here. I'm stumped. Feel good, but not sure. Thank you. 1. "Julie and Kurt got married and had a baby" is best symbolized as M v B M & B M ¡æ B M ¡ê B My choice is C 2. What is the truth value …
  7. Statistics

    I need help with this please. It is a multiple choice question, so choose one from a,b,c please. I believe the correct is c. What do you think?
  8. Geography

    Which of the following most accurately describes the difference between climate and weather?
  9. Social Studies

    Which characteristic ultimately led to General McClellan’s replacement as Commander of the Union army?
  10. history

    8.  Which characteristic ultimately led to General McClellan’s replacement as Commander of the Union army?

More Similar Questions