posted by John .
1. Is Jinny a female name or a male name?
2. Who is running over there?
Marathon runner, Tom White is.
2-1. Who is running over there?
The marathon runner, Tom White is.
2-2. Who is running over there?
A marathon runner, Tom White is.
(Which one is right from 2 through 2-2?)
3. I'm listening to the news.
3-1. I'm listening to news.
3-2. I'm listening to a news.
(Which expression is right?)
1. I've heard Jenny and Ginny as women's/girls' names. I've heard of no names like this for males.
2. OK, but either remove the comma after "runner" or put one in after "White" (appositive).
All of them (2 through 2-2) all correct. It just depends on what you mean. Using "the" indicates that there is only one marathon runner; using "a" indicates that Tom White is one of many marathon runners.
3 is correct; 3-1 and 3-2 are not.