posted by jed .
Hi. We did an experiment on Quantitatve Determintion of Total Hardness in Drinking water by Complexometric EDTA Titration and I have a lot of questions.
1. What is the concept of complexometric titration and water hardness? (Why is it expressed in ppm CaCO3?)
2. Why is EDTA use as complexing agent and titrant?
3. Why is EBT use as an indicator? What is the significance of adding MgCl26H2O crystals to the titrant?
4. What are the other applications of EDTA complexation?
5. What is the rationale behind performing the analysis of Ca and Mg at pH 10?
thank you so much for your time.
These look very much like questions at the end of the experiment OR as a pre-lab exercise. If you want to winnow the list somewhat and give answers and reasons perhaps we can help but no one here will do your homework for you. Most of the answers can be found in any standard quant book dealing with EDTA titrations.
How can EDTA be used to estimate ca2+ or mg2+ in water