College Algebra

Only 27% of the carbon-14 in a wooden bowl remains. How old is the bowl? (Carbon-14 has a half-life of 5,700 years.)

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 131
  1. Let T be the age in years.

    0.27 = (0.5)^(T/5700)
    Take logs of both sides to solve.
    T/5700 = log(0.27)/log(0.5) = 1.889

    T = ___ years

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
    posted by drwls
  2. 65437990

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
    posted by josh
  3. well the bowel has 27% carbon-14 remaining which means that 73% of the carbon-14 has already been depleted. 5700 years is the half life of carbon-14 so to get the full life we multiply 5700(2)=11400 years. then we can do an easy cross multiplication problem to figure it out, x/11400=73/100 and then we solve for x which is x=11400(73)/100 and the final answer and age of the bowel is 8322 years. a very algebraic way of solving it lol

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. College Algebra

    Carbon-14 Dating. Only 10% of the carbon-14 in a samll wooden bowl remains. How old is the bowl? Half life of carbon is 5700 years.

    asked by Vince on December 8, 2010
  2. math

    only 5% of the carbon-14 in a small wooden bowl remains , how old is the bowl? Hint, half-life for carbon –14 us 5730 years

    asked by martha on April 4, 2012
  3. College Algebra

    Only 34% of the carbon-14 in a wooden bowl remains. How old is the bowl? (Carbon-14 has a half-life of 5,700 years.)

    asked by Lexi on November 22, 2010
  4. Math

    A fish bowl is constructed out of a spherical bowl with diameter 20cm. The bowl was initially empty and water flows into the bowl at a rate of 10cm^3/s. Let V and h be the volume and depth of water in the bowl at time t seconds

    asked by Isabel on November 30, 2016
  5. Calculus

    Consider a hemispherical bowl with a radius of 12 cm. The bowl contains water to a depth of 9 cm. The density of the water at any point x cm below the surface of the water is given by 2e^(0.15x) g/cm^3. A. Find the volume of the

    asked by Roy on May 15, 2018
  6. Physics

    A small coin is inside a bowl. The bowl is a surface of revolution of the curve y=100x4 m−3. This coin slides around the inside of the bowl at a constant height of y=0.01 m above the bottom of the bowl. What is its angular

    asked by K on June 25, 2013
  7. Physics

    A small coin is inside a bowl. The bowl is a surface of revolution of the curve y=100x^4 m^-3. This coin slides around the inside of the bowl at a constant height of y=0.01 m above the bottom of the bowl. What is its angular

    asked by Nick on June 24, 2013
  8. physics

    A small coin is inside a bowl. The bowl is a surface of revolution of the curve y=100x^4 m^-3. This coin slides around the inside of the bowl at a constant height of y=0.01 m above the bottom of the bowl. What is its angular

    asked by Harry on June 24, 2013
  9. Art

    a museum decides not to include a plain plastic mixing bowl in an exhibit of functional american kitchen art what statement best explains this choice A.The bowl is not functional art because it has no designs or patterns B.The

    asked by Janet on April 1, 2016
  10. math

    There are 3 red balls and 7 blue balls in Bowl A, and 8 red balls and 2 blue balls in Bowl B. Mandy rolls a die and if a prime number is up, Bowl A is selected; otherwise Bowl B is selected. Then Katie draws a ball randomly from

    asked by Andrew on February 20, 2017

More Similar Questions