31. I had hoped the police would blame Bruce, not ___.
32. Some interviewers ____ have a clear sense of what they want in an employee, ask very tough questions.
33. A venture capitalist has to be willing to take risks when ___ invests ___ money.
__ they /their
__ he / his
__ she /her
__ he or she /his or her
34. Many times people will ask a writer where ____ gets ____ ideas.
__ he or she/his or her
Part III: Revision
In this section of the final, revise the sentences provided to correct the grammar errors indicated. (In many cases there will be more than one correct alternative to the sentence provided; credit will be given for all correct answers.)
Revise the following word groups to remove all fragments.
35. There are two reasons why. I like baseball. It is fun. And for the good exercise.
36. The White Sox are really good at the fundamentals of baseball. Which is why they won the World Series in 2005.
Revise the following word groups to remove all run-on sentences.
37. Studying is hard work many students find they study better when they take regular breaks.
38. Some tests are so hard that no one does well on them other tests are too easy and don't really test comprehension.
Revise the following sentences so that the subjects and verbs agree with one another.
39. One of my friends want to attend my graduation ceremony.
40. Seven cats, two monkeys, and a dog plays in the store window.
Revise the following sentences to remove all pronoun errors.
41. When a police officer fires his gun, he must fill out a lot of paperwork.
42. When a teacher writes an exam, they think about what aspects of student learning they want to test.
Revise the following sentences to remove all apostrophe errors.
43. Some people know where they parked they're car's, and some dont.
44. I gave you your's, and Im sorry if its broken now.
Revise the following sentences to make one of the existing sentences subordinate to the other.
45. The hurricane destroyed some oil rigs. Fuel prices rose.
46. People know they are going to have to retire. They often don't save enough money to do so comfortably.
Revise the following sentences to remove all errors in the use of quotation marks and all incorrect punctuation.
47. Have you ever read the story "The Tell-Tale Heart" by Edgar Allan Poe? Dave asked.
48. Did the professor say Put down your pencils? Janice asked.
Revise the following sentences to create parallel constructions.
49. To succeed in the new economy, workers will have to learn throughout their careers, adapt to changing circumstances, and self-motivation will be needed.
50. Some students hate math, some students dislike math, and math is liked by other students.
My answers: 1. Suffice 2. Sinister 3. Intricate 4. Incoherent 5. Implausible 6. Degenerate 7. Intercede 8. Sanctuary 9. Vulnerable 10. Scrutiny One summer, Nan worked in a factory with an employee who had recently arrived from
Bruce is furious when his midterm is returned with a C grade. He tells his sociology professor that he had read each of the assigned chapters three times, and if someone can do that and just be average, then there’s something
Leave any unneeded answer spaces blank. [Hint: use synthetic division to solve.] f(x) = (1x^3 - 3x^2 - 25x + 75)/(1x^3 - 19x^2 + 118x - 240) the roots of f(x), in increasing order is/are.... ___, ___, ___ f(x) has holes when x
choose a word Indeed,police claim that it is probably young (d).......who are to blame for the recent spate of the burglaries in our town.Police are proposing special (e)........to combat the problem and are asking for the public