KY is a 12-year-old boy who has been diagnosed recently with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia (ALL). He has been admitted to hospital for treatment.
KY’s initial therapy will comprise the corticosteroid dexamethasone, as well as the cytotoxic agent’s vincristine, L-asparaginase, daunorubicin, methotrexate and cytarabine. He experiences gastrointestinal upset but responds well to therapy; however, he does require close monitoring of his condition. KY receives adjunct therapy with the colony stimulating factor filgrastim.
KY’s four siblings are tissue-typed for bone marrow transplant. One of the children is considered a good match. While awaiting transplantation, KY develops a fever. He receives intravenous therapy with doxycycline to reduce the risk of sepsis. This crisis passes. After bone marrow transplant, KY makes good progress and moves into remission.
Answer the following questions:
1. Describe the mechanism of action of the corticosteroids and indicate the adverse effects that require monitoring during treatment with these drugs. (6 marks)
2. To which cytotoxic drug groups do each of the drugs in the case study belong? (5 marks)
3. Describe the mechanism of action of each of the drug groups identified in question two
4. What are the common immediate and delayed adverse reactions associated with cytotoxic drugs? (4 marks)
5. Describe the clinical management of a client with increased susceptibility to infection. (5 marks)
6. To which antimicrobial drug group does doxycycline belong? Is it considered a bactericidal or bacteriostatic agent? Explain. (3 marks)
7. Define the term ‘antimicrobial drug spectrum of activity’. What is the spectrum of activity of doxycycline? Why choose a drug with this spectrum of activity? (2 marks)
Hello I am working on DSM questions and am having problems with selecting the correct response can you help. Here are the questions I am not sure about. Michael was recently diagnosed by his psychiatrist with bipolar disorder. He
Given below is a case. You need to read the case carefully and answer the below questions. Ramsha is a 24 years university student. She avoids going to market place for grocery. She prefers to cook over going to open/public places
Typically when paired with a boy in a laboratory play session, a two year old girl is likely to A. stand idly while the boy explores the toy B.assume domineering behavior, telling him what to do C.actively explore the surroundings
I apologize, Writeacher, if I haven't reached your expectations yet but I am truly struggling to write this essay. "I feel as though there is a far greater number of people today who are more fearful than those of past
English posted by rfvv yesterday at 2:39am 1. I saw a boy in the car. 2. When I saw a boy, I was in the car. 3. I saw a boy who was in the car. At that time I was near the car. [Does #1 mean either #2 or #3 according to the
I have listed approaches that I think would be most effective for the following scenarios. Can someone please tell me if my answers are correct. If so, I'm not sure how to explain why they are correct. 1) A 27 year old female
I can't figure this out! Help please! The Problem At the local park, I saw a man was quizzing a boy with some simple arithmetic problems, and the boy seemed to be getting them all correct. He asked the boy, "32 + 5", and the boy
It is important for a child to be able to identify with a role model. Therefore, the best role model for a five-year-old boy would be: a)a female teacher. b)another five-year-old boy. c)a dad who is a room volunteer. d)a fifth
John was recently diagnosed with dissociative amnesia. His family and friends have asked to be involved in his treatment. What therapeutic approach is appropriate? - Family Therapy - Supportive Therapy - Social Interaction -
John was recently diagnosed with dissociative amnesia. His family and friends have asked to be involved in his treatment. What therapeutic approach is appropriate? family therapy supportive therapy social interaction relaxation