1. Under which of the following conditions would a fossil most likely form? (1point)
a. A living thing dies and sediment is very slowly deposited on top of i’s body.
b. A living thing dies and sediment quickly covers its body. <-
c. A living thing dies and its skeleton is left to the elements.
d. A living thing dies and a radioactive element breaks down its body.
2. If you were looking for an example of a trace fossil, for which of the following might you search? (1point)
a. Footprints and trails <-
b. A whole body preserved in rock
c. Dinosaur teeth
d. A hardened mineral sample
3. What does the law of superposition tell about the relative ages of rocks? (1point)
a. That the deeper you go into rock layers, the older the rocks are <-
b. That the deeper you go into rock layer, the younger the rocks are
c. That the oldest rock layer is always on top
d. That the oldest rock layer is always undisturbed
4. After a rock layer is eroded, which additional event must occur to create an unconformity, or gap, in the geologic record? (1 point)
a. An earthquake or motion along a fault
b. New sediment deposits build up on the eroded area <-
c. Radioactive decay along a fault
d. A volcanic eruption near the eroded area
5. Radioactive decay occurs when atoms (1 point)
a. Lose mass
b. Join with atoms of another element
c. Break down to form atoms of another element <-
d. Are exposed to chemical weathering
6. If you were to consult the geological time scale for when the first vertebrates evolved, where would you look? (1 point)
a. In the section for the Ordovician period of the Paleozoic era <-
b. In the section for the Quaternary period of the Cenozoic era
c. In the section for the Triassic period of the Mesozoic era
d. In the section for Precambrian time
7. Earth’s atmosphere, oceans, and continents began to form during the first several hundred years of (1 point)
a. Precambrian time
b. The Paleozoic
c. The Mesozoic era <-
d. The Cenozoic era
8. During the Devonian period, animals that could live on land began to evolve. These animals still spent part of their lives in the water. What were these animals called?
b. Reptiles <-
9. Which of the following events occurred during the Mesozoic era? (1 point)
a. Dinosaurs became common on land <-
b. Whales and dolphins evolved in the oceans
c. Reptiles evolved on land
d. The supercontinent Pangea formed
10. Which of the following vertebrates had the chance to become abundant after the dinosaurs became extinct? (1 point)
a. Wooly mammoths
d. reptiles <-
11. Which of the following organisms is not extinct? (1 point)
a. The dodo bird
b. The saber-toothed tiger
c. The saltwater crocodile <-
d. The Carolina parakeet
12. During which section of the geologic time scale did the first modern humans evolve? (1 point)
a. During the Paleogene period of the Cenozoic era
b. During the Quaternary period of the Cenozoic era <-
c. During the Cretaceous period of the Mesozoic era
d. During the Precambrian time
13. If the geologist found two fossils of different species buried next to each other in a rock layer, he or she might hypothesize that the two organisms may have been alive during the same period.
a. True <-
14. A species might become extinct when a disastrous event, such as a meteorite impact, occurs. (1 point)
a. True <-
15. Define the geologic time scale and explain why geologists use it to show earth’s history. (1 point)
1 - 6 are right.
I may be back later to check the rest.
7, 8 are wrong
10 - I don't know
The others are right.
14.trueposted by Zombie cash man