Math

I am having a problem answering this math problem.

Andrea has a box of marbles in it. She has seven red marbles, thirteen blue marbles and nineteen yellow marbles. If she reaches in and takes out marbles without looking, what is the fewest number of marbles she will need to take out to guarantee that she has three the same colour?

39 = total marbles.
7/39= red marbles.
13/39= blue marbles.
19/39= yellow marbles.

Now I am stuck, do I have to build a graph and if so how, sorry I am so confused with this problem.
Thanks for your help.

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 447
  1. She might draw out two of each color. There are only three colors, so on the 7th marble, it must be the same color as two of the others. So, with 7 marbles, she is sure to have 3 the same.

    How many of each color are in the box doesn't matter. Only the number of colors.

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  2. Thanks again😀

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. Math

    There were 7 times as many marbles in Box A as in Box B. After Joyce transferred 294 marbles from Box A to Box B, both boxes had the same number of marbles. How man marbles were there in Box A at first.

  2. Algebra

    A box contains 15 blue marbles, 25 yellow marbles, 20 green marbles and 40 red marbles. How many ,arbles must you select to be sure that a green marble has been chosen ?

  3. Math

    Kelly likes red marbles. Each of her 12 bags of marbles has 2/7 red marbles. How many separate bags of red marbles can she make? How to I work out this problem? Im not sure how to set it up, thanks!

  4. math

    Suppose a box of marbles contains equal numbers of red marbles and yellow marbles but twice as many green marbles as red marbles. Draw one marble from the box and observe its color. Assign probabilities to the elements in the

  1. Statistics

    Suppose a box of marbles contains equal numbers of red marbles and yellow marbles but twice as many green marbles as red marbles. Draw one marble from the box and observe its color. Assign probabilities to the elements in the

  2. Algebra

    Use the above graph of f(x) to complete the following table for values of its inverse function, f^{-1}(x). The graph has a point on (2,2)the y-intercept is 4 the x intercept is 3 x =-4, 8, 0, -2, 2 f^{-1}(x) Note: You can earn

  3. Math

    Box A contains six white marbles and five black marbles. Box B contains three white marbles and four black marbles. An experiment consists of first selecting a marble at random from Box A. The marble is transferred to Box B and

  4. physics

    You have a box that contains 200 marbles. 99% of the marbles are green, the other 1% are white. How many green marbles would you have to remove from the box to reduce the percentage of green marbles to 98%?

  1. Math

    I need help with my math homework.I searched for homework help forums and I found the Jiskha Website on the Google Website so this is my first time.I am new. Math Homework: What is the value of number 3 in 2,539? What is the value

  2. math-probability

    Mary has 3 boxes with Marbles. Eavh box is labeled so that she knows what is in each box. She has 1 box with 2 blue marbles, another box with 2 red marbles and a 3rd box with 1 red and 1 blue marble. Mary's little sister removed

  3. Math 141

    Box A contains 3 white marbles and 4 black marbles. Box B contains 6 white marbles and 5 black marbles. An experiment consists of first selecting a marble at random from Box A. The marble is transferred to Box B and then a second

  4. Intro to Technology: repost

    Lab 1.1 Can somebody please, please help me with this lab?! I know it requires sketching and modeling which only i can do , but please, any help will be appreciated. I find these labs so hard to do, but my teacher said there's no

You can view more similar questions or ask a new question.