I need physics help. I don't understand how to do these questions. Can someone show me what I should use? and explain. I'll do calculations by myself.
A stationary curling stone is struck in a glancing collision by a second curling stone of equal
mass. If the first stone moves away at a velocity of 0.92 m/s [N71oW] and the second stone
moves away at a velocity of 1.25 m/s [N44oE], what was the initial velocity of the second stone?
2. A billiard ball (0.62 kg) with a velocity of 2.0 m/s [N] hits another ball and has a velocity of 1.7
m/s [E] after the collision. Determine the impulse on the ball and the average force exerted on it
during the collision if the duration of the collision was 0.0072 s. (5 marks)
3. Two billiard balls of equal mass undergo a head on collision. The red ball is travelling at 2.1
m/s [right] and hits the blue ball travelling at 3.0 m/s [left]. If the speed of the red ball after the
collision is 3.0 m/s [left], determine the velocity of the blue ball after the collision. (5 marks)
4. A car with a mass of 1800 kg is initially travelling with a velocity of 22 m/s [N] when it collides
with a truck with a mass of 3200 kg traveling with a velocity of 14 m/s [E]. If the two vehicles
become attached during the collision, determine their final velocity. (5 marks)
1. M1 = M2 = M.
Unless otherwise stated, all angles are measured CCW from +x-axis.
M*V1 + M*V2 = M*V3 + M*V4.
M*0 + M*V2 = M*0.92m/s[161o] + M*1.25m/s[46o].
M*V2 = 0.92M[161o] + 1.25M[46o].
Divide both sides by M and solve for V2
V2 = -0.87+0.30i + 0.87+0.90i =
1.20i = 1.20m/s[90o].
3. M*V1 + M*V2 = M*V3 + M*V4.
M*2.1 - M*3 = -M*3 + M*V4.
V4 = ?
4. M1*V1 + M2*V2 = M1*V + M2*V.
1800*22i + 3200*14 = 1800V + 3200V.
Divide both sides by 100 and solve for v.