Chemistry

1. A hypothetical pure element consists entirely of two isotopes. The natural percent abundance of the isotope with mass 25.5 u is 86.1%. The other isotope has mass 29.2 u. Calculate the atomic weight of the naturally occurring element.

2. Suppose that a hypothetical element consists of a mixture of two isotopes. One isotope, having mass 44 amu, is present in 20.9% abundance, while the other isotope, having mass 46 amu, accounts for the other 79.1%. What should be the experimentally determined atomic weight for this hypothetical element?Answer in units of amu.

  1. 👍 0
  2. 👎 0
  3. 👁 263
  1. 25.5(0.861) + 29.2(1-0.861) = ?

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
  2. 26

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0
    posted by juju
  3. 29.6
    \

    1. 👍 0
    2. 👎 0

Respond to this Question

First Name

Your Response

Similar Questions

  1. Chemistry

    A hypothetical pure element consists entirely of two isotopes. The natural percent abundance of the isotope with mass 25.5 u is 78.8 percent. The other isotope has mass 29.5 u. Calculate the atomic weight of the naturally

    asked by Amanda on October 16, 2016
  2. chemistry

    A hypothetical pure element consists entirely of two isotopes. The natural percent abun- dance of theisotopewithmass 25.4 uis 82.6%. The other isotope has mass 29.5 u. Calculate the atomic weight of the naturally occurring

    asked by chanel on September 15, 2014
  3. Chemistry

    There are three naturally occurring isotopes of the hypothetical element hilarium 41Hi, 42Hi, and 44Hi. The percentages of these isotopes are the following: Hilarium Natural Isotopes Abundance 41Hi 18.7% 42Hi 43.6% 44Hi 37.7% You

    asked by anonymous on August 22, 2016
  4. O Chem

    By knowing the natural abundance of minor isotopes, it's possible to calculate the relative heights of M+ and M+1 peaks. If natural abundances are 12C - 98.9% and 13C - 1.10%, what are the relative heights, to the nearest 0.1%, of

    asked by Anonymous on January 29, 2012
  5. Chemistry

    An element consists of two isotopes of mass 36.4681 and 43.59612 amu. If the average atomic mass of the element is 40.741 amu, calculate the percent abundance of the first isotope.

    asked by Lily on September 24, 2007
  1. Organic Chemsitry

    By knowing the natural abundance of minor isotopes, it's possible to calculate the relative heights of M+ and M+1 peaks. If natural abundances are 12C - 98.9% and 13C - 1.10%, what are the relative heights, to the nearest 0.1%, of

    asked by Bobby on January 27, 2012
  2. Chemistry

    Element X has two natural isotopes:X-6 (6.015amu) and X-7 (7.016amu). calculate the atomic mass of element X given the abundance of X-7 is 92.5%. a)12.5amu b)6.50amu c)6.09amu d)6.52amu e)6.94amu

    asked by trisha on March 6, 2011
  3. Chemistry (percent abundance) *emergency*

    If the average atomic mass of Br is 79.90 amu, what is the percent abundance of each of its isotopes? How would we figure out the isotopes first before we calculate the percent abundance??

    asked by Ray on December 12, 2016
  4. Science

    A hypothetical element has two main isotopes with mass numbers of 56 and 59. If 61.00% of the isotopes have a mass number of 56 amu, what atomic weight should be listed on the periodic table for this element?

    asked by Sarah on October 12, 2015
  5. science

    A hypothetical element has two main isotopes with mass numbers of 80 and 83. If 68.00% of the isotopes have a mass number of 80 amu, what atomic weight should be listed on the periodic table for this element?

    asked by (: on October 3, 2019

More Similar Questions