1. Which of the following terms refers to an object that orbits the sun and has enough gravity to be spherical but has not cleared the area of its orbit? (1 point)
2. Which of the following statements about the solar system’s formation is true? (1 point)
The temperature was very cold.
Gravity pulled together a cloud of gas and dust.
Objects formed from the same materials.
The planets formed at the same distance from the sun.
3. Which of the following two physical components do the sun and the Earth have in common? (1 point)
core and mantle
core and atmosphere
crust and atmosphere
mantle and crust
4. Which of the following is true about all of the outer planets? (1 point)
Much of the material in these planets is solid.
The surface of these planets is rocky.
They have many moons.
They all rotate in the same direction.
5. Which of the following outer planets is known for having visible clouds in its atmosphere? (1 point)
6. Which of the following do the objects in the four categories of small objects in the solar system all have in common? (1 point)
They all orbit the sun.
They can all be found in the Oort cloud.
They all contain a nucleus.
They all are made of gas and ice.
7. Which of the following happens to the temperature of gases as they reach the top of the sun’s convection zone? (1 point)
It does not change.
There is no way to tell what happens.
8. Which of the following does a star’s absolute brightness depend on? (1 point)
distance and temperature
size and temperature
color and temperature
distance and color
9. Which of the following factors determines whether a protostar becomes a star? (1 point)
10. Why do astronauts feel weightless in orbit? (1 point)
There is no gravity in space.
They have no mass in space.
They have negative weight in space.
They are falling through space with their spacecraft.
11. Which of the following types of galaxies is the Milky Way an example of? (1 point)
12. Which of the following is one of the main uses of satellites? (1 point)
launching deep-space expeditions
controlling the weather
observing Earth’s surface
preventing ozone depletion
13. Which of the following two planets are closer to the sun than Earth? (1 point)
Mars and Jupiter
Venus and Mars
Mercury and Venus
Mars and Saturn