posted by Mary
1) How does the atomic radius change from left to right across a period in the periodic table?
A) It tends to decrease***
B)It tends to increase
C) It first increases, then decreases
D) It first decreases, then increases
2) What is the charge of a cation?
A) A positive charge***
B) No charge
C) A negative charge
D) The charge depends on the size of the nucleus
3) The metals in groups 1A, 2A, and 3A ____.
A) gain electrons when they form ions
B) all form ions with a negative charge
C) all have ions with a 1+ charge
D) lose electrons when they form ions***
4) Why is the second ionization energy greater than the first ionization energy?
A) It is more difficult to remove a second electron from an atom***
B) The size of atoms increases down a group
C) The size of anions decreases across a period
D) The nuclear attraction from protons in the nucleus decreases
5) Which is the element with the highest electronegativity value?
6) What is the energy required to remove an electron from an atom in the gaseous state called?
A) nuclear energy
B) ionization energy***
C) shielding energy
D) electronegative energy
7) Which of the following decreases with increasing atomic number in Group 2A?
A) shielding effect
B) ionic size
C) Ionization energy***
D) number of electrons