statisitics

posted by .

A company installs 5000 light bulbs, each with an average life of 500 hours, standard deviation of 100 hours, and distribution approximated by a normal curve. How many bulbs should have a life expectancy between 400 and 600 hours?

  • statisitics -

    If you graph this, you will see a bell curve where the center of the bell curve, the mean = 500 hrs. Light bulbs with life expectancy within +/-1 SD will represent 68.27% of the total of all bulbs. The remainder, 31.73% of all light bulbs will have either longer or shorter life expectacy. Half of the remainder, or 15.865% will be longer lived (greater than 600 hrs) , half shorter (less than 400 hrs).

    So the total number of bulbs with life expectancy greater than 400 hrs is all bulbs within the +/-1 SD range plus all bulbs over the 600 hr range.

    Number = 0.6827 * 5000 + 0.15865 * 5000 = 4206 bulbs

  • statisitics -

    That is not one of the answers =(

  • statisitics -

    Why didn't you post the choices? Could this be a significant figure problem; i.e., round that 4206.

  • statisitics -

    In the old days, we solved these "normal distribution" questions by using normal distribution tables, found in the back of text books.
    Most calculators can now do these type of questions, after setting them in statistics mode.
    However, there are several on-line webpages that simulate those charts.
    One of the best I found is here:
    http://davidmlane.com/normal.html

    Just enter the mean and SD, then click on <between> and enter 400 and 600

    I get 0.6827

    so .6827(5000) = 3413.5 or 3414 to the nearest bulb

    I see that Gabby did have 68.27% as the range, but don't understand why she did not use that probability .

  • statisitics -

    choices:
    1. 5000
    2. 4750
    3. 2500
    4. 3400

  • statisitics -

    3414 vs 3400 ... mhhh, what do you think?

  • statisitics -

    yes, I got that answer, I figured out each using an area table
    500-400=100
    100/100=1

    500-600=-100
    -100/100=-1

    on area table 1.00 = .341
    .341+.341= .682 rounded =.68
    .68*5000=3400

  • statisitics -

    There you go!
    good job

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. statistics, help

    Can someone help me which way can I approach this problem. A hint of a formula or anything would be helpful... Life of Light Bulbs A certain type of light bulb has an average life of 500 hours, with a standard deviation of 100 hours. …
  2. stat

    A company installs 5000 light bulbs, each with an average life of 500 hours, standard deviation of 100 hours, and distribution approximated by a normal curve. Find the percentage of bulbs that can be expected to last the period of …
  3. Stats

    A new extended-life light bulb has an average service life of 750 hours, with a standard deviation of 50 hours. If the service life of these light bulbs approximates a normal distribution, about what percent of the distribution will …
  4. statistics

    A new extended-life light bulb has an average service life of 750 hours, with a standard deviation of 50 hours. If the service life of these light bulbs approximates a normal distribution, about what percent of the distribution will …
  5. math

    1) A light bulb producing company states that its lights will last an average of 1200 hours with a standard deviation of 200 hours. A sample of 100 light bulbs from the company were tested and the researcher found that the average …
  6. sTATISTICS

    If light bulbs have lives that are normally distributed with a mean of 2500 hours and a standard deviation of 500 hours, approximately what percentage of light bulbs has a life of more than 3000 hours?
  7. Math

    If light bulbs have lives that are normally distributed with a mean of 2500 hours and a standard deviation of 500 hours, use the 68-95-99.7 rule to approximate the percentage of light bulbs having a life between 2000 hours and 3500 …
  8. Math ---HELP!!!!!

    light bulbs have lives that are normally distributed with a mean of 2500 hours and a standard deviation of 500 hours, use the 68-95-99.7 rule to approximate the percentage of light bulbs having a life between 2000 hours and 3500 hours?
  9. Statistics

    A company makes batteries with an average life span of 300 hours with a standard deviation of 75 hours. Assuming the distribution is approximated by a normal curve fine the probability that the battery will last . Less than 250 hours …
  10. Math

    A company makes batteries with an average life span of 300 hours with a standard deviation of 75 hours. Assuming the distribution is approximated by a normal curve fine the probability that the battery will last:(give 4 decimal places …

More Similar Questions