THE AGE OF DISCOVERY TO THE AMERICAN EXPERIMENT
posted by Lily
The Articles of Confederation called for which of the following?
A. A single legislative body
B. A chief executive
C. The right of the legislature to assess taxes
D. The Northwest Ordinance
2. Jacques Cartier sailed to the New World in 1534 in search of
B. a northwest passage to China.
C. the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
3. With respect to the eighteenth century, the concept of the "middle ground" is helpful in
A. explaining the attitudes and preferences of the Scots-Irish.
B. explaining the relationship between German and Scots-Irish settlers in the backcountry.
C. understanding the role of Catholic priests in California and the Spanish Southwest.
D. understanding the attitudes of Indians living between the Appalachians and the Mississippi.
4. Among members of George Washington's cabinet, __________ had a pessimistic view of human nature
and a dread of democratic excess.
5. Under the _______ system, Spanish conquistadores were rewarded with local villages and control over
the local labor force.
A. land reform
6. Which of the following was John Rolfe's chief contribution to Virginia's economy?
A. His invention of a better way to grow short-staple cotton
B. His alliance with the Powhatan through his marriage to Pocahontas
C. His innovations in cultivating tobacco
D. His innovations in rice cultivation
7. Parliament passed the Coercive Acts, known in America as the Intolerable Acts, in response to
A. insults addressed to the customs commissioners.
B. the Boston Tea Party.
C. Patrick Henry's Resolves.
D. the Boston Massacre.
8. For revolutionaries like Sam Adams, the term _______ embraced a way of life, a core ideology, and an
uncompromising commitment to liberty and equality.
9. Which of the following statements is true of life in the New England colonies?
A. Literacy wasn't considered important.
B. Only married women could exercise control of their property.
C. Many New England women were prosperous entrepreneurs.
D. Those who aspired to the social elite had to be members of a Congregational church.
10. In America, the main influence of the Enlightenment was expressed through
A. moral values.
B. philosophies of religion.
C. practical scientific experimentation.
D. family life.
11. "All powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution . . . are reserved to the States
respectively, or to the people." This language, drafted by _______ and incorporated into the _______
Amendment of the Bill of Rights was intended to address the concerns of the Antifederalists.
A. Hamilton; Fourth
B. Hamilton; Tenth
C. Madison: Fourth
D. Madison; Tenth
12. Which of the following was the primary interest of the British government in approving James
Oglethorpe's Georgia colony?
A. Developing new lands for rice production
B. Providing an asylum for British debtors
C. Thwarting Spanish claims in the area south of Carolina
D. Increasing immigration to the southern colonies
13. In Mesoamerica, the shift to basic crops, including corn, beans, and squash, is referred to as the
A. Native American
14. The Puritan _______ became the governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony.
A. Roger Williams
B. William Bradford
C. Arnold Hutchinson
D. John Winthrop
15. At the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia, Madison drafted the plan presented by Virginia
Governor Randolph, and William Patterson of _______ presented a plan that was similar to the Articles of
A. South Carolina
B. New Jersey
16. In his Farewell Address, Washington warned against permanent foreign alliances and
A. the formation of political factions.
B. the unjust oppression of black slaves.
C. lowering the tariff on imported goods.
D. the power of the moneyed interests.
17. In 1700, which of the following colonies had the largest slave population relative to its overall
B. South Carolina
18. The first stirrings of the first Great Awakening took place in
A. the Carolinas.
B. the backcountry.
C. New England.
End of exam
19. In Jefferson's view, George Washington's action in addressing the Whiskey Rebellion
A. wouldn't have been necessary save for the influence of Republican clubs.
B. amounted to an inappropriate overreaction.
C. was appropriate but not sufficiently bold.
D. was a fitting response to an immediate threat to the federal government.
20. In 1777, who commanded the American soldiers who captured 5,800 British soldiers under General
Burgoyne at Saratoga?
A. Benedict Arnold
B. Horatio Gates
C. William Howe
D. George Washingto
What do you want us to do with this test?
help me out check my answer please
How does gender aeffct your memory?Which hand sanitizer works the best? (use petri dishes)How does age aeffct your sense of smell?How does age aeffct your memory?How does color aeffct your reaction time?Which posture works best when singing?Which paper towel brand is the strongest?Which orange juice brand has the most vitamin C?Which exercise aeffcts your heart rate the most?How does race aeffct your blood pressure rate?Which hard candy dissolves the fastest in saliva?Which soda is more acidic?What is the best natural food substance that works as a fungicide?Which household cleaner cleans the best?That is all I can think of Science fair is coming to an end at my school, and those are the ideas of my friends and the ones that I was thinking about hope one appeals to you!