Statistics

posted by .

Upon examining its records, a hospital computes the distribution of the number of days a patient stays at the hospital. They find that 50% of patients stayed just one day before leaving. 30% stayed two days, and 10% stayed 3 days.
a.) A patient is selected at random from the hospital's records. Keeping in mind that every patient stays at least one day, what is the chance that this patient stayed longer than 3 days? Show your work.

b.) For the hospital, the mean length of stay was 4.3 days. Thus,
A.) the mean length of stay is larger than the median.
B.) the mean length of stay is smaller than the median.
C.) the mean length of stay is the same as the median.
D.) it is impossible to tell whether the mean is larger or smaller than the median.

Pick one and explain.

  • Statistics -

    That is only 90% of the patients. Did the other 10% die?

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. Math/Health

    I was wondering if someone could please help me this is really making me go crazy please check my answers thank you Paul Smith was admitted to the hospital for the first time this year on Sept 15. On Sept 25 he was transferred to a …
  2. pre-statistics

    Days Stayed Frequency 3 60 4 51 5 14 6 22 7 8 What is the probability a patient stayed at least 5 days?
  3. math, pre- statistics

    Hospital records indicated that maternity patients stayed in the hospital for a number of days shown in the distribution Days Stayed Frequency 1 34 2 23 3 17 4 11 5 8 If a patient's records are selected calculate the probability of …
  4. STATISTICS

    Length of Hospital Stays: The average length of “short” hospital stays for men is slightly longer thatn that for women: 5.2 days vs. 4.5 days. A random sample of recent hospital stays for both men and women revealed the following. …
  5. Statistics

    According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control, the national mean hospital stay after childbirth is 2.1 days. Reviewing records at her own hospital, a hospital administrator calculates that the mean hospital stay for a random …
  6. Statistics

    According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control, the national mean hospital stay after childbirth is 2.1 days. Reviewing records at her own hospital, a hospital administrator calculates that the mean hospital stay for a random …
  7. Statistics

    According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control, the national mean hospital stay after childbirth is 2.1 days. Reviewing records at her own hospital, a hospital administrator calculates that the mean hospital stay for a random …
  8. Statistics

    According to a study by the Centers for Disease Control, the national mean hospital stay after childbirth is 2.1 days. Reviewing records at her own hospital, a hospital administrator calculates that the mean hospital stay for a random …
  9. data management

    The stay at a hotel on Spring Break is normally distributed with a mean of 7 days and a standard deviation of 2 days. If 8000 people visited this hotel on Spring Break... a) If a visitor stays 6 days what is the corresponding z-score?
  10. statistics

    The experience of a certain hospital showed the the distribution of length stay of patients is normal with a mean of 11.5 days and a standard deviation of 2 days. a. What percentage of the patients stayed nine days or less?

More Similar Questions