College Critical Reading
posted by Jessie .
If someone could please let me know if these multiple choice questions are right? I believe they are but I want to make sure! Thanks for the help in advance!
1. Critical readers watch television by deciding that their primary purpose for choosing shows is based on? a.) which shows are prime time television shows? b.) shows with positive messages? Or c.) appropriate criteria and analysis questions? I believe the answer would be c.) appropriate criteria and analysis questions, is that correct?
2. A critical reader would reject an argument as poor if? a.) most of it is illogical, biased, or irrelevant? b.) he didn’t agree with it? Or c.) the bias was obvious even if both sides were discussed? I believe this is a.) most of it is illogical, biased, or irrelevant, would that be right?
3. One way a critical reader can synthesize ideas on related issued from varied sources is to? a.) analyze the sources for objectivity? b.) select the most popular writers in these sources? Or c.) decide if the issues are part of his frame of reference? I think this one is c.) decide if the issues are part of his frame of reference, would that correct?
4. A writer might intentionally include irrelevant statements in his work in order to? a.) lie to the reader? b.) be paid more money for his work? Or c.) attempt to add substance to the amount of his support? I believe this one is c.) attempt to add substance to the amount of his support, is that right?
5. Critical readers need to examine book reviews and movie reviews as arguments by focusing on the? a.) points in the storyline? b.) subjective comments about quality? Or c.) characters’ names? I think this is a.) points in the storyline, would that be correct?
6. Critical readers need to examine advertisements to gain sufficient objective information and to? a.) determine desirable product lines? b.) locate new sources of “in” products? Or c.) avoid fallacies that are highly persuasive? I believe this one is c.) avoid fallacies that are highly persuasive, is that right?
Thank you so much for the help ;-)
I disagree with your answers for 3 and 5. The others are correct.
Thanks for getting back to me Ms.Sue.... For number 3 should it be a.) analyze the sources for objectivity? Would that be a better answer?
And for number 5 should it be characters' names? Would that be right?
And then I was wondering if you could please (when you have time) look at the other posting I did with True/False questions, I posted it right before this question. Thanks so much Ms.Sue ;-)
Yes, 3 is a.
I think b is a better answer for 5.
Check your text.