posted by Kay .
I need help with this scenario please!Ten years ago, you started working as a clerk for DMD
Medical Supplies. Six months ago, Liz Jakowski, the human
resources director, promoted you to office manager. You
manage two employees: Jack Snyder and Ruth Disselkoen.
Your office provides secretarial support for the four members
of the executive team. Two years ago, Liz had assigned Jack
to support Ralph Alane and Jessica Hilo. Ruth was assigned
to Samuel Daley and Frank Daley. The work flow was
You’ve noticed that in the last three months Ruth has cut her
breaks short to complete her work, complains of being tired,
and at least twice a month requires overtime hours costing
the company an additional $200 a month. In the last three
weeks, Frank Daley has complained to you a few times about
the poor quality of Ruth’s work.
On the other hand, over the last three months, Jack frequently
seems to have little to do. He has begun coming in late a
couple times a week and taking more than the allotted break
times. What work he does have, however, is always professionally
completed.Clearly, you must investigate to determine what is causing
this change and how to improve the situation. Since nothing
has changed in the personal lives of either Jack or Ruth, you
conclude you must focus on the in-office work situation. You
learn the following facts:
• Samuel and Frank Daley share a part-time administrative
assistant who works only 15 hours a week.
• Ralph Alane and Jessica Hilo share a full-time administrative
• Jessica Hilo has been on medical leave for the last four
months, and Liz Jakowski isn’t sure whether Jessica will
be able to return to work.
• Jessica’s duties have been temporarily reassigned to
Ralph and Frank.
Although you don’t have the authority to change the work
assignments of the two administrative assistants or the
executive team, you clearly need to change your office
assignments so that both Jack and Ruth work regularly
without requiring overtime.
1. The background explains the primary cause of the workflow
problem and the negative effects resulting from it.
Your task is to make up a realistic plan which solves
the uneven productivity between Jack and Ruth. Use
prewriting tools like brainstorming, cluster or webbing
diagrams, and freewriting to outline the cause-effect
situation and to develop a specific solution that best
solves the problem. Also ask yourself the following
questions to expand your prewriting.
• How long has this situation been going on?
• Why did the problems begin when they did?
• Am I able to solve the problem at its root cause or
am I only able to manage the impact of the problem?
• Is this a temporary or permanent problem?
• How has the company been affected?• How have the employees been affected?
• What’s in my power to change? What must stay the same?
• What are two or three ways to improve the efficiency of
• How much work, time, and money would be required to
implement each solution?
• Does each solution stop all the negative effects?
• Are there any benefits to the change beyond stopping
what is occurring?
• How exactly would each change affect Jack, Ruth, and
the executive team?
• What would I have to do to make sure each change goes
through as planned and to monitor the situation once
the solution is in place?
2. From your prewriting, develop the single best solution to the
situation described in the background. Obviously, you won’t
be able to use everything you’ve prewritten, so your first step
is to choose what’s most important for the purpose and
audience. As you outline a solution, you may need to make
up more specific details that define the steps of the plan and
describe particular benefits of the plan.
3. Next, sort your details and information about the problem and
the plan into one of the two sections given below. Don’t
worry about complete sentences for this sorting stage; merely
list the information under the appropriate section. Use
information from both the background and your prewriting.
• Facts and figures that define the problem (the cause)
• Details that show the impact of the problem (effects) on
Jack, Ruth, and the company
• The steps needed to change the situation
• Reason to implement each step, including the benefits
to your employees, your supervisor, and the company
• Information about your role in the change4. After sorting the information, draft a first-try, rough paragraph
for Section 1 and another paragraph for Section 2.
Your goal is to place the listed information in the most
logical order using sentence and paragraph format. Leave
all spelling, grammar, punctuation, and other mistakes
exactly as they are. Don’t do any editing as you write
this first draft. The worse it looks at this stage, the better
your final product will appear in contrast.
5. Set your rough draft aside and don’t work any further on
this assignment for at least 24 hours.
6. After your break, reread the background information and
the questions guiding your prewriting in Step 1. Then
reread the rough paragraphs you drafted for Section 1
and 2 to refresh your memory. If you came up with new
ideas since you wrote the draft, add your thoughts before
you go further.
7. Focus on the rough draft of Section 2, which you wrote
in Step 4. Divide the paragraph into two main ideas and
reorganize your information accordingly to develop two
separate paragraphs based on Section 2. The paragraphs
must first describe your solution and then persuade
your supervisor to implement that solution. Each paragraph
must have one main idea related to this purpose
Note: Don’t revise Section 1. Revise only the rough draft
you wrote for Section 2, expanding the single paragraph
into two paragraphs.
8. Prewrite further if needed to develop more details and
explanation to flesh out the two paragraphs based on
Section 2. Next, apply the drafting and revising strategies
taught in this and previous study units to produce two
properly developed paragraphs. Together these two paragraphs
must total between 200 to 300 words.
9. Once again, set your work aside for at least 24 hours.
10. Read the evaluation criteria given on the next page,
which will be used to score your work. Continue to
revise, edit, and proofread the two paragraphs from
Section 2 to meet each of the criteria.
How would you like us to help you with this assignment?
having a hard time understanding what to write. failed the assignment the first try. HELP
Write me what kind of duties Jack Snyder, Ruth Disselkoen and Ralph Alane and Jessica Hillo performed?