AP Chemistry

posted by .

Iron has a density of 7.86 g/cm3 and crystallines in a body-centered cubic lattice. Show that only 68% of a body-centered lattice is actually occupied by atoms, and determine the atomic radius of iron.

  • AP Chemistry -

    bcc means 2 atoms per unit cell.
    mass of unit cell is
    2*55.847/6.022 x 10^23 = ?? g/unit cell.

    mass = volume x density or
    volume = mass/density = ??g/7.86 g/cc = xx cc

    a (the edge length) = volume1/3

    for a bcc crystal, radius = (a/4)*31/2. Check my thinking. I obtained 2.87 x 10^-8 cm for the radius. Check my arithmetic and algebra.

  • AP Chemistry -

    For the volume occupied, find the volume of the atoms (4/3)*pi*r^3 (you know r from the first calculation to be 1.24 x 10^-8 cm). Multiply that volume by 2 (because there are 2 atoms/unit cell), then divide by the volume of the unit cell (which I found to be 2.36 x 10^-23 cc) which gives 67.7% which rounds to 68% of the space actually occupied by the atoms. The other 32% is space.

  • AP Chemistry--correction -

    I quoted radius above that obtained 2.86 x 10^-8 but that isn't what I found. I found radius of the iron atom to be 1.24 x 10^-8 cm.

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. Inorganic Chemistry

    The atoms in barium metal are arranged in a body centered cubic unit cell. Calculate the radius of a barium atom in A if the density of barium is 3.50g/cm3. The atomic weight of barium is 137.34. The atoms in barium metal are arranged …
  2. Chemistry

    The unit cell with all sides the same length and all angles equal to 90 degrees that has lattice points only at the corners is called monoclinic body-centered cubic primative cubic face-centered cubic spherical cubic
  3. chemistry

    Vanadium crystalizes in a body centered cubic lattice (the V atoms occupy only the lattice points) how many V atoms are present in a unit cell?
  4. Chemistry

    Please help! Answer the following for a body centered unit cell. Crystalline Solids Program Answers should be numerical, set r = 4.0. edge in terms of r, the lattice pt radius: face diagonal in terms of r, the lattice pt radius: body …
  5. Chemistry

    Please help! Answer the following for a body centered unit cell. Crystalline Solids Program Answers should be numerical, set r = 4.0. edge in terms of r, the lattice pt radius: face diagonal in terms of r, the lattice pt radius: body …
  6. chem

    Complete the table below: Answer the following for a body centered unit cell. (Hint: Helpful information can be found by going to the "Lattice" menu, choosing "Cubic", and then choosing "Body-Centered" in the Crystalline Solids program.) …
  7. Chemistry

    CdO is cubic with a lattice constant a=4.695 A˚ and a density ρ of 8.15 g/cm3. Determine the crystal structure of CdO. Simple Cubic Face Centered Cubic Body Centered Cubic
  8. Chemistry

    CdO is cubic with a lattice constant a=4.695 A˚ and a density ρ of 8.15 g/cm3. Determine the crystal structure of CdO. Simple Cubic Face Centered Cubic Body Centered Cubic
  9. AP Chemistry

    iron has a density of 7.86 g/cm3 and crystallizes a body centered cubic lattice. Show that only 68% of a body centered lattice is actually occupied by atoms, and determine the atomic radius of iron
  10. Chemistry

    An element crystallizes in a body-centered cubic lattice. The edge of the unit cell is 3.13Å , and the density of the crystal is 7.78g/cm3. Calculate the atomic weight of the element. Please help, thanks

More Similar Questions