posted by laxy .
Hello! Next Tuesday I am teaching a class for the first time! (I am still a student) This class is going to be graded.So, the class lasts for 45 minutes.My topic is breakfast.I am teaching young learners of english as a foreign language ( first graders - 7 year olds:)) So what I need are some ideas. I don't know yet which vocabulary is in their books. I'll get the book on Saturday.But as I said I need some ideas. How to start?(I thaught by repeating the song they have learned today)How can I introduce their topic?And most importantly how do I teach them new words?Would it be good to show them picture cards and then say a word f.e.milk and then let them repeat..Any more ideas?Fun ideas?Anything is welcome!So one more time my topic is breakfast.
Here are several websites from which you should be able to get ideas. You'll need to keep the children's ages in mind as you choose and/or adapt. Check out ALL the links in each site; you never know where a good idea will come from!
(This may or may not be helpful, but check it out anyway.)
http://bettereflteacher.blogspot.com/ (Check out the links and archives, too.)
such as http://bettereflteacher.blogspot.com/2008/08/teaching-english-as-foreign-language.html
Considering the age of the students and the attention span of that age group, keep it lively and fast-paced. Has your class covered TPR (Total Physical Response) at all? That would cover the 3 basic learning-styles: visual (you need to SEE what you want to learn), auditory (you need to HEAR what you want to learn ) and kinesthetic (you need to be physically involved to learn), understanding that many people are a combination of those learning styles.
With breakfast as the topic, you might even set a table (teaching the utensils, etc.) and "serve" a typical breakfast. Begin now collecting the props you need. I had boxes of things to use, because they were easy to stack and store and were organized by theme. Don't be afraid to use your imagination and yes, the song idea is great.
Here are some ESL sites with ideas:
1. Dave's ESL ideas: http://www.eslcafe.com/ideas/
2. Resources, even employment: http://esl.about.com/od/teachingenglish/Teaching_English_Techniques_Resources_Certificates_Employment.htm
3. ESL for young learners 5-18: http://esl.about.com/od/teachingchildren/Teaching_Children_ESL_Young_Learners_ESL.htm
4. I'm not an artist so I also had a collection I laminated on 8-1/2 X 11 colored paper of pictures I had collected from old magazines. Here is something you can copy and use, either on flash-cards (large enough to see) or ve blow them up size-wise:
5. Food #2: (Broken Link Removed)
6. Games, etc.: http://www.manythings.org/
7. ESL printables: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=64626
8. An exercise you can use with students in pairs (A/B): http://www.esldiscussions.com/b/breakfast.html
9. Kid's stuff: http://www.eslkidstuff.com/
10. Sites for teachers: http://www.sitesforteachers.com/
11. Music activities: http://www.esl-galaxy.com/music.htm
12. Freebies: http://www.teachchildrenesl.com/
Whatever you do, try to reach all 5 senses: sight, hearing, taste, touch, smell. You could make a BINGO card with pictures of the vocabulary. Someone is coming this morning so I have to go but when I have time later today, I'll give you a cooperative learning group activity for Breakfast.
thank you:) I'll be here all day long!