Post a New Question

Economics

posted by .

A person must decide whether or not to proceed with a particular investment project. If the project succeeds, She will gain $15 million. If the project fails, she will lose $3 million. She estimates there is a 20% chance that the project will succeed and an 80% chance it will fail.

There is a consultant that could tell her with certainty if the project succeed or fail, but only for a fee. What is the most that she should be willing to pay the consultant for the information? Explain. Assume that she correctly estimated the probabilities of the project’s likely success and failure.

I AM LOST on this one - can anyone please help?

  • Economics -

    First, lets assume the person is RISK NEUTRAL -- where the change in utility from an expected dollar loss is equal to the change in utility from an expected dollar gain.

    That said, this is simply a comparison of the expected return on the person's investment. Without the consultant, there is a 20% chance she gets 15M and an 80% chance she loses 3M.
    E(return) = .2*15 - .8*3 = 0.6

    If she hires the consultant, she will only make the investment if its a win. However, taking into account of the fee, her expected return must greater than what she could do without the consultant. So:
    E(return) = .2*(15 - F) - .8*F - 0.6

    I get the Fee=2.4

Respond to this Question

First Name
School Subject
Your Answer

Similar Questions

  1. Devon

    A person must decide whether or not to proceed with a particular investment project. If the project succeeds, She will gain $15 million. If the project fails, she will lose $3 million. She estimates there is a 20% chance that the project …
  2. Finance

    Wheel Industries is considering a three year expansion project. The project requires an initial investment of $1.5 million. The project will use straight line depreciation method. The project has no salvage value. It is estimated that …
  3. Finance

    FIN500, Inc. has the following project. It is a 4 year project and required initial investment of $10 million. Depreciation is straight-line over 4 years. Initial net working capital requirement is $1.5 million and is fully recoverable …
  4. finance

    Wheel Industries is considering a three-year expansion project. The project requires an initial investment of $1.5 million. The project will use straight-line depreciation method. The project has no salvage value. It is estimated that …
  5. math

    Your program has an RDT&E-funded project scheduled to start in July 2005 which is expected to take 12 months to complete. The project is expected to cost a total of $12 million (then-year dollars), with cost expected to be incurred …
  6. statistics

    Your program has an RDT&E-funded project scheduled to start in July 2005 which is expected to take 12 months to complete. The project is expected to cost a total of $12 million (then-year dollars), with cost expected to be incurred …
  7. Math

    Your program has a proposed RDT&E-funded project scheduled to start in January 2005 which is expected to take 16 months to complete. The project is expected to cost a total of $16 million (then-year dollars), with cost expected to …
  8. Finance

    Your program has a proposed RDT&E-funded project scheduled to start in January 2015 which is expected to take 16 months to complete. The project is expected to cost a total of $16 million (then-year dollars), with cost expected to …
  9. Finance

    BH Holding Inc. is considering undertaking a capital project, costing $8 million today. in addition, the project will be installed over the next 2 years, costing $1.0 million at the end of the first year and $0.5 million at the end …
  10. finite mathematics

    A financier plans to invest up to $2 million in three projects. She estimates that Project A will yield a return of 10% on her investment, Project B will yield a return of 15% on her investment, and Project C will yield a 20% return …

More Similar Questions

Post a New Question