bill of rights
posted by logan .
im having trouble with these questions...i need to know what ammendment fits the statement...
1. A united states representative prohibited a local newspaper from printing an editorial that was critical of her record.
2. Congress told the state of Montana that it would no longer be able to issue marriage licenses.
3. Melissa was arested and placed in jail without being informed of the nature or cause of the accusation.
These are instances of things that should not have happened, because of the Bill of Rights.
The Amendments that a court would refer to in dealing with these situations are:
1. Amendment 1 (Freedom of the press etc.)
2. Amendment 10 (The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people)
3. Amendment 6 (..right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed,..., and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him..)