Posted by Jay on Monday, June 6, 2011 at 6:19pm.
MathMate - I'm still confused, please see below. Thanks!!
SIMPLEX METHOD - Table:
Nutrient Peanuts Raisins M&Ms Pretzels
Calories 855 435 1024 162
Protein 34.57 4.67 9.01 3.87
Fat 72.50 0.67 43.95 1.49
Carbs 31.40 114.74 148.12 33.68
Suppose that you want to make at most 10 cups of trail mix, using all the ingredients. You want each of the ingredients to contribute at least 10% of the total volume of the mix made. You want the entire amount of trail mix to have fewer than 7000 calories and you want to maximize the amount of carbs in the mix.
1. Let x1 be the number of cups of peanuts, x2 cups of raisins, x3 cups of m&ms and x4 cups of pretzels. Let C be the amount of carbs in the mix. Find the objective function.
2. What contraints must be placed on the objective function.
I can solve the rest if you can help out with the constraints. I'm not sure how to write out the 10% of each ingredient to a proper constraint. Thanks!
Math - MathMate, Sunday, June 5, 2011 at 7:07am
You must already have:
855x1+435x2+1024x3+162x4 < 7000
The total volume is 10 cups, what is 10% of 10 cups?
Can you take it from here?
Math - Jay, Monday, June 6, 2011 at 6:15pm
Sorry.. still confused. I set up the constraints as x1>1, x2>1, x3>1, x4>1 but I'm not getting the answer. Are those contraints correct or is there another way to write it?
- Math - Damon, Monday, June 6, 2011 at 6:50pm
Those are the constraints you were given.
You talk about an answer but have not defined objective yet.
remember maximize carbs
carbs = 31.4 x1 + 114.74 x2 etc
- Math - Jay, Monday, June 6, 2011 at 7:40pm
I have the objective, I just need the constraints. If you can please list all of the constraints. The constraint that is stumping me is the one where I have to show 10% of the total. Thanks!!!!!
- Math - Jay, Monday, June 6, 2011 at 7:48pm
What is the proper constraint for this:
"You want each of the ingredients to contribute at least 10% of the total volume of the mix made."
- Math - MathMate, Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 7:54am
Sorry, after re-reading:
"want to make at most 10 cups of trail mix"
which means that the total weight is not yet known. So
x1+x2+x3+x4=10 does not apply.
Also instead of
take the total weight as
W=x1+x2+x3+x4, so the new constraints should be:
or simplified to
The constraints are now:
855x1+435x2+1024x3+162x4 < 7000
Would that work?
- Math - typo - MathMate, Tuesday, June 7, 2011 at 11:50am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - SIMPLEX METHOD - Table: Nutrient Peanuts Raisins M&Ms Pretzels Calories ...
- Deadline Approaching: Please Help - SIMPLEX METHOD - Table: Nutrient Peanuts ...
- Sic / 241 - Can u please tell me if i figured this right? Part B: Calculating ...
- PLEEEEEEASE HELP, EMERGENCY!!!!! - Here is a word problem dealing with The ...
- math - how can i make the Protein content equal the same %. what did i do wrong...
- Math - Coould someone please let me know if I did this equation correctly. This ...
- college chemistry - to calulate the calories(kcal) in 1/2 cup of soft ice cream ...
- Health - the chemical process by which your body breaks down the nutrients in ...
- Math - A dietitian is designing a daily diet that is to contain at least 60 ...
- Math - Ernesto makes a snack mix. For every cup of raisins he adds 2 cups of ...