Posted by Jacqueline on Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 3:53pm.
I am hoping someone can give me feedback on the following short paragraph on the book "Devil's Highway." I am especially concerned with whether I am using verb tenses correctly.
"Devil's Highway" de Luis Alberto Urrea es un libro muy impactante y muy triste. Quisiera decir que pueda conmover a cualquiera persona, pero yo sé que hay personas que tienen muchos prejuicios y no podrían compadecerse de las personas que cruzan la frontera en condiciónes duras y peligrosas. Pero si uno lo leyera con una mentalidad abierta, se sentiría compasión.
- Spanish - Vee, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 4:25pm
The grammar isn't perfect, but the wording is great. :) If you want the grammar to be 100% perfect then just post another question, and I'd be glad to help!!!
- Spanish - Jacqueline, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 5:19pm
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. Although the most important thing for me is that it can be clearly understood, I also would love to know what you think of the grammar! That is very kind of you to offer.
- Spanish - SraJMcGin, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 6:18pm
Even the grammar is quite good. Here are 2 things to make it a bit better:
1. prejuicios y no podrían = prejuicios y que no podrían
2. condiciónes = condiciones (no accent in the plural)
Yo diría que es bien hecho.
Sra (aka Mme)
- Spanish - SraJMcGin, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 6:20pm
Here is the very best impression you give = the correct use of the Subjuncive. Native speakers don't always have that!
- Spanish - Jacqueline, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 6:42pm
The subjunctive is so difficult but my friends who are native speakers assure me that they don't understand it all perfectly (but of course for them they frequently can sense when it is incorrect/correct). I hope to keep practicing so it will come more naturally!
- Spanish - SraJMcGin, Sunday, February 6, 2011 at 7:26pm
Olé and ole = depending upon where you are!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - Devil in the White City Chicago World's Fair benefits and downfalls...
- physics - A highway is made of concrete slabs that are 14.0 m long at 20° C. (a...
- word problem - Millwood city is constructing a new highway through town. The ...
- English - Hello! I'm writing a story for English class, and it's supposed to be ...
- math - using the example above, the new highway will be a total of 54 miles long...
- calculus - a road that runs perpendicular to a highway leads to a farmhouse ...
- english - we have just completed the story of washington irving... 'the devil ...
- Math - Suppose that the amount of time it takes to build a highway varies ...
- PHYSICS - A salesperson leaves the office and drives 26 km north along a ...
- physics - A salesperson leaves the office and drives 26 km north along a ...