Posted by Ashley on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 10:50pm.
Butyric acid (HC4H7O2) is a weak acid with the stench of rancid butter
1.) write the equation for the dissociation of HC4H7O2 in water
2.)the pH of .5 M HC4H7O2 is 2.56 calculate Ka of butyric acid
3.) Write the equation for the hydrolysis of C4H7O2-
4.) Calculate Kb for C4H7O2-
5.) Calculate the pH of a buffer solution in which the concentration of butyri acid= .36 M and the concentration of C4H7O2- is .31 M.
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, July 30, 2013 at 11:07pm
HC4H7O2 + H2O ==> H3O^+ + C4H7O2^-
pH = -log(H3O^+)
-2.56 = log(H3O^+)
(H3O^+) = about 2.8E-3 but you need to do it more accurately. Let HB stand for butyric acid, then
.......HB + H2O ==> H3O^+ B^-
Ka = (H3O^+)(B^-)/(HB)
You know (H3O^+) = about 2.8E-3, that's also B^-. Substitute into Ka expression and solve for Ka.
C4H7O2^- + H2O ==> H3O^+ + HC4H7O2
Kb for B^- = (Kw/Ka for HB)
5. Use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - The foul odor of rancid butter is due largely to butyric acid, a ...
- Chemistry - Add 0.010 mol of solid sodium butanate, NaC4H7O2 to 100.0 mL of 1.0 ...
- Chemistry - In the titration of a weak acid with a strong base, the pH at the ...
- Chemistry - The pH of a weak monoprotic acid, HA, is 4.55. It took 39.22 ml of 0...
- chemistry - i need help solving this Benzoic acid is a weak, monoprotic acid (Ka...
- chemistry - 1. An aqueous solution of weak base B of unknown concentration is ...
- Chemistry - Write balanced equations that describe the following reactions. (Use...
- chemistry - 2- A 0.310 M solution of a weak acid, HX, has a pH of 2.53 a. Find ...
- Chemistry - Carbon dioxide dissolves in water to form carbonic acid, which is ...
- chemistry - propanoic acid ch3ch2cooh is a weak acid which has a value for ...