Posted by Maura on Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:10am.
!. Which of the following structures would you expect to have a net dipole moment?
2. Rank the sp, sp2, and sp3 orbitals in order of decreasing (highest to lowest) energy.
d)they are all the same
- chemistry - Maura, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:25am
i believe H2C O with the double bond is the only one with a dipole moment
- chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:27am
HCtriplebondCH is linear and no dipole moment.
NH4^+ is tetrahedral and symetrical; therefore, no dipole moment.
H2C=O is not symmetrical in three dimensions; it has as dipole moment.
Same for BCl3.
For #2. here is come good reading.
- chemistry - Maura, Friday, February 15, 2013 at 12:44am
i got the first one easy enough. the reading was interesting. so that leads me to believe b is the correct answer. thank you dr. bob
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Organic Chemistry - Order the following in order of increasing bond vibration ...
- organic chemistry - What orbitals overlap to create the C-O bond in CH3OH? A. ...
- org chem - describe the hybridization (sp3, sp2, sp) of the following bonds. BH3...
- Chemistry - 3. Choose the hybridization schemes for the following species. (a) ...
- Organic Chemistry - Which hybrid orbitals would NOT be possible in electrically ...
- Chem- Dr. Bob! - Posted by Rachel on Thursday, January 20, 2011 at 3:57pm. Does...
- Chemistry - Give the molecular orbital description [e.g. sigma(sp3-sp3)] for ...
- chemistry - How does Carbon hybridize it's S and P orbitals and what effect does...
- science - Draw the Lewis structure of [NH2]– Draw the Lewis structure of [(CH3)...
- chemistry - Which of the following combinations of atomic orbitals can combine ...