Posted by stacey on Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 12:52pm.
total of 17 heads and 42 feet with 3 times more ducks as pigs so how many duck do you have
- math - Surya Teja, Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 2:52pm
there are 4 pigs and 13 ducks
- math - anoneemose, Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 2:53pm
well, the only way there can be 17 heads and 42 feet and 3 times more ducks, would be: 4 pigs (4 heads and 4 feet for each
4x4= 16 feet
13 ducks ( 13 heads and 2 feet each
13x2 =26 feet
Heads = 4+13=17 for 4 pigs
feet =16+26=42 for 13 ducks
4(Pigs) X 3 = 12
so there are 3 times more ducks
- math - Reiny, Sunday, January 20, 2013 at 3:36pm
number of pigs --- x
number of ducks -- 3x
for heads: x + 3x = 17
4x = 17
x = 17/4 , which is not a whole number, so the question is bogus
There is no answer, the way it is worded.
However, if we skip the fact that there are 3 times as many ducks as pigs, we can solve it
number of pigs -- x
number of ducks -- y
for heads: x + y = 13
4x + 2y = 42
2x + y = 21
2x + y = 21
x + y = 17
x = 4
then y = 13
that is the answer that Surya Teja had given, but it would not have met the condition that there 3 times as many ducks as pigs, since 3x4 ≠ 17
Answer this Question
- math - ken and mark have some ducks and pigs. when asked how many ducks and pigs...
- Math - a carnival has a duck pond booth. You choose a rubber duck at random,7 ...
- math - Farmer Brown had ducks and cows. One day she noticed that the animals had...
- math - A group of goats&duck s hav a total of 99 heads n legs among thm. Ther r ...
- math - I family of ducks contains 7 ducks which are 44 lbs. The other wieghs 32 ...
- science - Two toy ducks attached to each other by a string, are being pulled by ...
- physics - Two toy ducks attached to each other by a string, are being pulled by ...
- 5th grade - a group of goats and ducks have a total of 99 heads and legs amoung ...
- 5th grade - A group of goats and ducks have a total of 99 heads and legs among ...
- PLEASE HELP PHYSICS! - Two toy ducks attached to each other by a string, are ...