Posted by tanya on Monday, December 17, 2012 at 4:56pm.
“In the snow” is repeated three times in “Scott’s Goodbye.” What meaning might the writer have hoped to convey by repeating this phrase?
- language arts - Ms. Sue, Monday, December 17, 2012 at 5:12pm
We saw the months of wicked weather,
As day to painful night did turn,
Waiting, huddled close together
For the frozen sun’s return.
Our nights were almost endless torture.
Our food was gone. Our fuel was low.
We came in search of grand adventure
But ended trembling in the snow.
Each morning’s effort took us southward,
Like moths to flames we sought our goal.
We knew not that far out ahead
Amundsen had reached the Pole.
We found his flag one bitter morning
And knew our hopes had come to woe.
We had come pursuing glory
But ended freezing in the snow.
Hour by hour our strength has left us
But we’ve struggled on for days.
With nothing more than will to guide us
We have tried to reach our base.
The nights are cruel, the wind is heartless,
With its ceaseless whip and moan.
We gave our all; we fought our hardest
But ended dying in the snow.
Trembling, freezing, dying "in the snow."
Isn't the author emphasizing the deadliness and pervasiveness of the snow?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - “In the snow” is repeated three times in “Scott’s Goodbye.” What ...
- language arts - We saw the months of wicked weather, As day to painful night did...
- Language Arts - * Singing loudly in the shower* is what Jessica loves to do ...
- MUSIC - 3)_________ CAN OCCUR BETWEEN TWO INSTRUMENTS AND CAN TAKE PLACE AT ANY ...
- Language Arts 8th Connection Academy - Scott’s Good-bye We saw the months of ...
- language arts - Identify the term that correctly identifies the italicized word...
- language Arts - Which phrase best describes the meaning of distinguish as it is ...
- language arts - Avalanches happen in a series of stages. First, while the ...
- 8th grade language arts - 4.)Which word or phrase is closest in meaning to the ...
- Language Arts - Need some help on the 2 sentences below. 1. Are you tired of ...