Posted by Olivia on Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 9:45pm.
- Algebra II - Steve, Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 10:44am
the factorization will be one of
(12a- )(a+ )
(12a+ )(a- )
(6a- )(2a+ )
(6a+ )(2a- )
(3a- )(4a+ )
(3a+ )(4a- )
where the missing numbers are 1 and 5
a little trial produces
- Algebra II - Jennifer, Wednesday, October 3, 2012 at 10:54am
This will be factored into an expression of the form
(A*a + B)(C*a + D)
A*C*a^2 + A*D*a + B*C*a + B*D =
A*C*a^2 + (A*D + B*C)*a + B*D =
A*C = 12
A*D + B*C = -17
Then start trying whole numbers. . .B and D have to be +/- 1 or +/-5
A and C have to be positive common factors of 12: so 1 and 12 or 3 and 4 or 6 and 2. . .
-4*5 + 3*1 = -17. . .
A = 4, B = 1, C = 3, D = -5
The factored expression is
(4a + 1)*(3a - 5)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- algebra - simplify -2a^+6ab^-12a^b/-24ab the b -12a^b the b is to the third ...
- Algebra - How do I factor out the greatest common monomial factor? 1) 9m^7 - 3m^...
- math - is this correct when combining like terms 17a^2b-16ab^2+3a^3+4ba^3-b^2a= ...
- algebra - simplify 2a^2 + 6ab^2-12a^2b^3 divided by 24ab -2a^2/-24ab + 6ab^2/...
- pre calc - factor ((5a^2+12a+4)/(a^4-16)) / ((25a^2+20a+4)/(a^2-2a))
- Math - Factor each trinomial, if it cannot be factored, write prime. 2q²-9q-18 2...
- Algebra - collect like terms 17a +6b-11a-9b= thanks
- Algebra - I need someone to refresh my brain on collecting like terms.. 17a + 6b...
- algebra - -12a+3(2a+1)=-6a
- algebra 2 - If f(3a-1) = 12a-7, what is f(x)?