Posted by Adie on Friday, July 13, 2012 at 5:31pm.
Pick a Card.
Mike and dave play the following card game. Mike picks a card from the deck
If he selects a heart Dave gives him $5, if not, he gives Dave $2.
Determine Mikes's expectation.
Determine Daves' expectation
Can you help me with this? i have tried to do it and i came up with (Mike's = -$1.58 and dave's = - $4.79) but I don't think the game is "fair" so I don't think the expected value is 0. I am really confused!
- math - Reiny, Saturday, July 14, 2012 at 12:00am
Prob(heart) = 1/4
prob(not a heart) = 3/4
he will receive $5 if he picks a heart
expectation = 5(1/4) = $1.25
he will receive $2 if Mike does not pick heart
expectation = $2(3/4) = $1.50
The game is clearly in Dave's favour.
If you wanted to know what Dave should receive to make it a "fair" game, let the amount Dave should receive be $x
x(3/4) = 5(1/4)
x = $1.67
(how ever did you get -$1.58 and -$4.79 ???????)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Mike and Dave play a game in which each independently throws a dart at a ...
- math - The unpaid balance of Dave's credit card is $295, and the finance charge ...
- math - You and a friend each have a standard and well-shuffled 52-card deck of ...
- Stats - Directions: Suppose you have a standard deck 52 cards (4 suits: hearts...
- Math - One card is selected from a deck of playing cards. Determine the ...
- Stats - Suppose you have a standard deck 52 cards (4 suits: hearts, diamonds, ...
- math - In a game of blackjack, each player is dealt two cards from a standard 52...
- statistic research - ryan selects one card from a deck of 52 different card. the...
- math - You pick a card from a card deck of 52 cards. If you choose a diamond or ...
- math - a card game goes like this: you draw a card from a 52 card deck. If it is...