Posted by Mohammad on Monday, May 14, 2012 at 9:06pm.
i only find simile not metaphor in here. simile be in 4th stanza but i not understand it. i also not get how it aids to create feeling, or tone.
i guess he only be describing his land. do that be theme?
i not understand most lines in poem
The Lonely Land by A.J.M. Smith
Cedar and jagged fir
uplift sharp barbs
against the gray
and cloud-piled sky;
and in the bay
blown spume and windrift by the wind
and thin, bitter spray
at the whirling sky;
and the pine trees
lean one way.
A wild duck calls
to her mate,
and the ragged
and passionate tones
stagger and fall,
and stagger and fall,
on these stones -
in the lapping of water
on smooth, flat stones.
This is a beauty
of stony strand
this smoky cry
curled over a black pine
like a broken
and wind-battered branch
when the wind
bends the tops of the pines
and curdles the sky
from the north
This is the beauty
broken by strength
and still strong.
- English - Writeacher, Monday, May 14, 2012 at 9:43pm
Nearly the entire poem is description to support the poet's assertion in the last stanza.
This is what he's describing:
Can you see it?
Can you hear it?
Can you imagine what battering this tree has taken over its lifetime so far?
- English - Nancy, Tuesday, May 15, 2012 at 9:26pm
Note the individual words that have common associations:stagger, fall. note the repetition of vowel sounds within the lines to strengthen the mood.note how short the lines and words are, to mimic the nature of the scenery--harsh, barren, ie., tough.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- english - That, like dumb mouths, do ope their ruby lips To beg the voice and ...
- english - i need a poem with 4 stanzas 3 line each with 1. stanza of metaphor 1...
- simile's/metaphors - I did a report on dyslexia. I need one metaphor and one ...
- English - I have to answer these questions but i am confused...please help :) As...
- English (poetry) - IV His soul stretched tight across the skies That fade behind...
- English - But time did beckon to the flowers. Herbert metaphor simile ...
- HELP!!! I ALSO HAVE FINALS TOMMORROW!!!!!!!!!!! - Importance of simile, metaphor...
- English Lit - I'm not great at identifying some of these figures of speech for ...
- 4th grade language/english - What is a metaphor or simile using "a big storm" ...
- ENGLISH MS. SUE - The FALCON OF DEATH was a creature they knew, And the choirs ...