Posted by Tina on Monday, March 19, 2012 at 9:52pm.
I have read my reading materials and answered to the best of my understanding. If anyone could help I would appreciate it!
Comparing Systems of Abnormality
Psychologists use several different models to explain abnormal behavior. These different models have created shifts in values and beliefs as well as improvements in clinical research. These differences in ideas mean that the different models are sometimes in conflict with one another. People who follow one model often point out where another model fails in its interpretations, investigations, and treatment methods.
To complete this assignment, read this brief profile of Willard and follow the directions to complete the chart:
Willard is an angry man. He often gets his way by bullying and berating others.
The following is a list of proposed causes for Willard's behavior. Each cause was presented by a psychologist with a different theoretical perspective. Match the psychologist to the cause he or she is likely to present. Then match the treatment he or she is most likely to recommend. Explain your choice in the last column under Reason. Be sure to document your sources.
Dr. Smith, Biologist
Dr. Mullen, Psychoanalyst
Dr. James, Behaviorist
Dr. Allen, Cognitivist
Dr. Bates, Humanist
Dr. Frank, Socioculturist Treatments:
Challenging dysfunctional thoughts
Free association and catharsis
Proposed Cause Psychologist Treatment Reason[Fully explain]
Proposed Cause: Willard has been rewarded for his bullying behavior. Psychologist: Dr. Frank, Socioculturist Treatment: Community treatment
Reason[Fully explain]: ???
Proposed Cause: Willard is genetically predisposed to bullying others.
Psychologist: Dr. Smith, Biologist
Reason[Fully explain]: Biologists believe that genetic inheritance may influence mood disorders. The common biological treatments are drug therapy (medication), electroconvulsive therapy, and psychosurgery (Comer, 2005).
Proposed Cause: Willard's toilet training was harsh.
Psychologist: Dr. James, Behaviorist Treatment: Operant conditioning
Proposed Cause: Willard is influenced by the commonly held view that men must be aggressive in order to succeed. Psychologist: Dr. Bates, Humanist Treatment: Client-centered therapy
Proposed Cause: Willard assumes that if he does not assert himself first, he will appear to be a failure to others. Psychologist: Dr. Allen, Cognitivist
Treatment: Challenging dysfunctional thoughts
Proposed Cause: Willard has a low sense of self-worth, probably stemming from conditional love in childhood.
Psychologist: Dr. Mullen, Psychoanalyst Treatment: Free association and catharsis
Reason[Fully explain]: A psychoanalyst would determine Willard’s actions influenced by experiences and by leading a discussion on the topic of his feeling would help Willard work through this low self-worth. While leading the discussion Willard will face past feelings and work towards settling internal conflict (Comer, 2005).
(Cited source) Documentation:
Comer, R. J. (2005). Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology (4th ed.). New York, NY: Worth.
Answer this Question
- Science - Why do scientists use models of natural systems? a. Scientists use ...
- Psychology/270 - Can any one let me know if I matched these up together ...
- English Comp - read Chapters 1 and 2 and your Instructor’s Guidance for Week One...
- science - Why do scientists use models? a. Scientists use models to learn about ...
- Reading - All of the following statements about reading skills are true EXCEPT: ...
- reading - what does the quote help us understand, or explain "reading furnishes ...
- Structure of the Earth - Explain Earth's layers by comparing Earth to a familiar...
- English - Discuss how SQ3R reading strategy is similar to and / or different ...
- Child Development - • Choose two age groups from different periods in the ...
- english - All of the following statements about reading skills are true EXCEPT A...