Posted by carolyn on Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 4:51pm.
A certain toilet tank can be emptied in 6 sec through its drain when it is flushed. This happens at the same time that the water is flowing in through the inlet pipe. Withthe drain closed, the inlet pipe canfill the tank in 30 sec. How long would it take to drain the tank if the water was not flowingin through the inlet pipe?
- algebra - Damon, Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 5:26pm
in flow rate Q1 = 1 tank / 30 seconds
out flow rate = Q2
Q2 - Q1 = 1 tank/6 seconds
Q2 - 1/30 = 1/6
Q2 = 5/30 + 1/30 = 6/30 = 1/5 = 1 tank/5 seconds
- algebra - Reiny, Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 5:35pm
let the tank hold 1 unit of volume
let the rate of water flowing in be y units/sec
let the water flowing out be x units / sec
When drain is open (water going in and out at the same time)
6(x-y) = 1
x - y = 1/6
drain closed: 30y = 1
y = 1/30
plug back into x-y = 1/6
x - (1/30) = 1/6
x = 1/5
only drain open:
t(1/5) = 1
t = 5 sec
With the drain only,
it would take 5 seconds to empty the tank
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- college algebra - an inlet pipe can fill a large water tank in 3 hours. an ...
- math - A 500-litre water storage tank is situated at the top of a building at a ...
- Fluid Mechanics - Water flows into a cylindrical tank through pipe 1 at a rate ...
- physics - A large water tank has an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The inlet ...
- Physics - A large water tank has an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The inlet ...
- math - Water flows through a pipe with the inner diameter of 20cm at a speed of ...
- maths - Water is flowing at the rate of 15km/hr through a cylindrical pipe of ...
- math - Water is flowing at the rate of 15km/hr. Through a cylindrical pipe of ...
- math, physics - A 10 m high, 5 diameter cylindrical water tank has an inlet at ...
- maths - .A leak in the bottom of a tank can empty the full tank in 4hours.An ...