Posted by carolyn on Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 4:51pm.
A certain toilet tank can be emptied in 6 sec through its drain when it is flushed. This happens at the same time that the water is flowing in through the inlet pipe. Withthe drain closed, the inlet pipe canfill the tank in 30 sec. How long would it take to drain the tank if the water was not flowingin through the inlet pipe?
algebra - Damon, Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 5:26pm
in flow rate Q1 = 1 tank / 30 seconds
out flow rate = Q2
Q2 - Q1 = 1 tank/6 seconds
Q2 - 1/30 = 1/6
Q2 = 5/30 + 1/30 = 6/30 = 1/5 = 1 tank/5 seconds
algebra - Reiny, Sunday, February 12, 2012 at 5:35pm
let the tank hold 1 unit of volume
let the rate of water flowing in be y units/sec
let the water flowing out be x units / sec
When drain is open (water going in and out at the same time)
6(x-y) = 1
x - y = 1/6
drain closed: 30y = 1
y = 1/30
plug back into x-y = 1/6
x - (1/30) = 1/6
x = 1/5
only drain open:
t(1/5) = 1
t = 5 sec
With the drain only,
it would take 5 seconds to empty the tank
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - ) An inlet pipe can fill an empty tank in 5 hours by itself, and an ...
- physics - A large water tank has an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The inlet ...
- Algebra - An inlet pipe on a swimming pool can be used to fill the pool in 24 ...
- math - A 500-litre water storage tank is situated at the top of a building at a ...
- College Math - An inlet pipe on a swimming pool can be used to fill the pool in ...
- Physics - A large water tank has an inlet pipe and an outlet pipe. The inlet ...
- math - An inlet pipe on a swimming pool can be used to fill the pool in 28 hours...
- Math - An inlet pipe on a swimming pool can be used to fill the pool in 24 hours...
- college algebra - an inlet pipe can fill a large water tank in 3 hours. an ...
- Fluid Mechanics - Water flows into a cylindrical tank through pipe 1 at a rate ...