Posted by clara on Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 5:45am.
lean can paint her new apartment 3 hours longer than his friend,carlos.if both can do painting in 2 hours,how long will it take each one to finish the job alone?
- algebra - Bayarbold, Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 6:42am
time=3 and 3x=1 x=1/3
If both can do painting in 2 hours,So
(x+y)2=1 x=1/3 hence (1/3+y)*2=1
And y is 1/6.We can say that it take 6hours to finish the job alone.
- algebra - Reiny, Thursday, January 5, 2012 at 8:26am
let Carlos' time be x hrs
so rate for Carlos = 1/x
Lean's time is x+3
Lean's rate = 1/(x+3)
combined rate = 1/x + 1/(x+3)
= (x+3 + x)/(x(x+3)) = (2x+3)/(x(x+3))
1/[ (2x+3)/(x(x+3))] = 2
x(x+3)/(2x+3) = 2
x^2 + 3x = 4x + 6
x^2 - x - 6 = 0
(x-3)(x+2) = 0
x = 3 or x=-2, the latter is not possible
Carlos would take 3 hrs, and Lean would take 6 hrs alone
combined rate = 1/3 + 1/6 = 1/2
combined time = 1/(1/2) = 2
- algebra - Sharon, Saturday, January 21, 2012 at 1:46pm
Keiko bicycles 4km/h faster than Carlos. In the same time it takes Carlos to Bicycle 45km, Keiko can bicycle 57km. How fast does each bicyclist travel?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- College Algebra - It takes Todd 3 hours longer than Tom to paint a 4x5 feet ...
- algebra 2/trig - Tina can paint a room in 8 hours, but when she and her friend ...
- math - May takes 12 hours to type a report. Her friend helps her and together ...
- math - 1.a collection of 105 coins consists of 1 peso and 5 pesos. if the total ...
- Algebra - Ann, Matt and Zack are working for a cleaning company. Together, they...
- Math - Alice can complete a certain job in 5 hours she had been working on the ...
- algebra2/trig - tina can paint a room in 8 hours, but when she and her friend ...
- algebra - you can paint a room in 8 hours. your friend and you can paint a room ...
- Algebra - Tom and Jerry are working together to weed the garden. Working ...
- Math - when linda and martin work together painting one room, they can complete ...