Posted by Yuni on Saturday, December 31, 2011 at 9:36pm.
potential difference=40v b2n plate A & B.
find work done if q=+3C from
a) B to A
b) A to B
*i already know the ans but i need the explanation for the formula.
-this is my work
what i want to ask is:
1-why must we add - sign for v is not that if the v is against electric field is +?
- physics - drwls, Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 5:55am
You don't say whether A or B has the higher potential. You only say that the difference "between" them is 40 V.
If a positive charge moves to a higher potential, the potential energy increases. The E field and force is opposite to the direction of motion in that situation.
- phy - Yuni, Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 6:24am
i'm sorry. the electric field are from A to B.
dear drwls,you didnt answer my question.
i know about the concept but why the v is negative? or how can it be proven mathematically by the formula?.
- phy - bobpursley, Sunday, January 1, 2012 at 9:14am
Start with the definition of work
Work=Force dot distance
= Eq dot distance
but E=-dV/dx by definition of direction of E field. E goes from + V to -V (the direction of a pos test charge)
Work= q*-dV/dx dot distance
work= -q dV/dx dot dx
Now, if the distance is in the direction of the gradient, then
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - 1)The difference of potential between terminals of a battery is 6V. ...
- Physics Capacitance - Three uncharged capacitors, X, Y, Z, each with capacitance...
- physics - The physics of an electron moving from one plate to another. An ...
- physics - An electron moves from one plate to another across which there is a ...
- physics - If 180 J of work is performed to move four coulombs of charge from the...
- Physics - I never learned how to do these... An electron moves from one plate of...
- Physics - An electron enters a parallel plate apparatus 10.0cm long and 2.0cm ...
- Physics - Right now in physics we are learning about electric potential energy ...
- Physics - Thank you for answering my previous questions! I have another one now ...
- physics - The plates of a parallel plate capacitor each have an area of 0.40 m2 ...