Posted by Mindy on Friday, November 11, 2011 at 6:47pm.
The half-life for beta decay of strontium-90 is 28.8 years. A milk sample is found to contain 10.3 ppm strontium-90. How many years would pass before the strontium-90 concentration would drop to 1.0 ppm?
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 8:02pm
k = 0.693/t1/2
Substitute k into the equation below.
ln(No/N) = kt
No = 10.3 ppm
N = 1.0 ppm
k from above.
t = ?
Chemistry - Mindy, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 8:57pm
DR.BOB222 ENGLISH PLEASE?????? I know how to get the beta decay for strontium. just having a hard time with the concentration of strontium and the amount of yrs. passed....please help!!
Chemistry - DrBob222, Friday, November 11, 2011 at 9:42pm
All you need to do is to substitute 28.8 years into equation 1 I gave you to solve for k, then substitute k into the
ln(No/N) = kt and solve for t.
I TOLD you what to substitute for No and I told you what to substitute for N and k. You have only to solve for t. t is approximately 100 years for the Sr to decay to about 1.0 ppm.
Chemistry - joe, Monday, October 8, 2012 at 8:52pm
the half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.20 years.. how many milligrams of a 2.000-mg sample remains after 6.55 years?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Strontium-90 decays through the emission of beta particles. It has ...
- chem - Radioactive substances decay by first-order kinetics. How many years ...
- Forensics - Strontium-90 is a radioactive waste product from nuclear reactors. ...
- AP Environmental Science (URGENT) - Strontium-90 is a radioactive waste product ...
- Science - Can anyone help me find the half-life of strontium-90? I also need an ...
- SCIENCE - We did a radioactive decay and half life lab with m&ms and I do not ...
- calculus - Suppose strontium-90 decays at a rate of 2 percent per year. (a) ...
- Math - Suppose strontium-90 decays at a rate of 2 percent per year. (a) Write ...
- NEED HELP WITH CALC - Suppose strontium-90 decays at a rate of 2 percent per ...
- calculus - In the early 1960s, radioactive strontium-90 was released during ...