Posted by Caroline on Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 9:41pm.
Find the total mass of the triangular region with coordinates (-1,0),(0,4),and (1,0). All lengths are in centimeters, and the density of the region is (x)=5+x grams/c^m2.
I know that to get the total mass i have to do density* lenght and ingegrate, but I don't know how to to it for a triangle...
Calculus - bobpursley, Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 9:56pm
draw the triangle.
Notice the base is horizontal frm -1,0 to 1,0
write the equation for the two legs
left leg: y=mx+b where m= (4/1)=4
4=4*0+b or b=4
integrating the left side..
mass=INT y*(5+x)dx fro x=-1 to 0 do that inegral. Now on the right side, the leg equation is y=-4x+4
same equation as above, integrate from x=0 to 1
be certain in each area to use as y either (-4x+4) or y=(4x+4)
add the two masses
Calculus - Caroline, Wednesday, October 26, 2011 at 10:38pm
What I did was:
INT (-1,0) (4x+4)(5+x) dx
I integrated and got (4/3)x^3+18x^2+20x
and evaluated from -1 to 0 and got 10/3 g and then from 0 to 1 and got 118/3 grams added and got 128/3 g and that's not the answer. What am I doing wrong?
Calculus - Steve, Thursday, October 27, 2011 at 12:22am
(4x+4)(5+x) = 4x^2 + 24x + 20
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Calculus - I know I posted this problem earlier but I don't think it will be ...
- Calc - Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D...
- CALC - Find the mass and center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D...
- CALC - Find center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D and has the ...
- Math - Find center of mass of the lamina that occupies the region D and has the ...
- Math - [Multivariable Calc] Let R be the region that is inside of the cardioid r...
- Thank you Ann (kinematics) - Thank you Ann! I had the equations and really was ...
- Calc - Find the mass of the triangular region with vertices (0, 0), (2, 0), and...
- Math! Help! Help! Help! - Hello a compound with: density of: .80 g/cm^(3) volume...
- science - Mercury is a liquid metal with a mass density of 13.6g/cm. What is the...