Posted by lolo on Monday, August 22, 2011 at 8:49pm.
How long will it take for the 100mg of cesium-137 to decay to 6.25mg(1/16 the original amount)?
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, August 22, 2011 at 8:58pm
2n = 16
Solve for n = number of half lives.
- chemistry - lolo, Monday, August 22, 2011 at 9:59pm
still i can't understand it
- chemistry - DrBob222, Monday, August 22, 2011 at 10:31pm
Do you have the half-life given in the problem or are you allowed to look it up? If so there is an easier way to set it up.
To solve 2n = 16, take the log of both sides.
log 2n = log 16
n*log 2 = log 16
n*0.301 = 1.2 etc.
There is another way. Remember that half-life means the time it takes for 1/2 the material to disappear. So make a table like this. The periods are used for spacing.
So whatever the half-life is, multiply that by 4 and you will have the time it takes to go through 4 half-lives.
- chemistry - Anonymous, Tuesday, August 23, 2011 at 1:24am
thanks alot , this answer really helped me to understand this question
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry please help! - A Cesium 137 sample has a measured radioactivity of 50 ...
- s103 - the isotope caesium -137, which has a half life of 30 years, is a product...
- DrBob222 - On Monday you helped me to understand and answer the one question, ...
- chemistry - The isotype caesium -137, which has a half life of 30 years, is a ...
- Chemistry - The isotope caesium-137, which has a half life of 30 years, is a ...
- Algebra 2 Decay - You have 20 grams of phosphorus-32 that decays 5% per day. ...
- algebra - Suppose a sample of Cesium-137 with initial mass of 200 grams decays ...
- chemistry - use logic and simple math to determine how long it will take for a ...
- Chemistry - Isotopes - The isotope caesium 137 has a half life of 30 years. How ...
- chem - Cesium-137 has a half life of 30.0 years. If initially there are 8.0 kg ...