Posted by bode on Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 11:40am.
The following RAM chips are specified by the number of words times the number of bits per word. For each, specify:
a. The number of address lines needed for each memory chip
b. The number of data lines needed for each memory chip
c. The number of bytes that can be stored in each memory chip (note that there are 8 bits/byte)
128 KB words x 8 bits/word
512 KB words x 16 bits/word
512 MB words x 32 bits/word
8 GB words x 64 bits/word
- computer - MathMate, Saturday, March 26, 2011 at 12:16pm
Address lines are required to address each word. For n lines, the number of possible address is 2^n addresses.
For 128K words, there are 2^7 addresses, so 7 address lines are required.
Each word has a width of 8 bits, so to address each bit individually (and internally), 8 lines are required.
The storage is
128K x 8bits
= 128K * 1 byte
= 128*2^10 bytes
= 131072 bytes
So answer for the first case is 7 address lines, 8 data lines and 131072 bytes.
The remaining cases are similar.
- computer - samrti, Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 11:34am
address lines is reqired in 512 k word memory
Answer this Question
- math - the probability of a computer memory chip being defective is 0.02. which ...
- computer sciece - The change in memory density with time can be described by B=...
- math - Mr ram has five sons ajay,balu,charan,easwar and ganesh. He had some ...
- math - On a roulette wheel are 36 slots numbered 1 through 36 and 2 slots ...
- computer science - a) What is the largest positive number that can be ...
- Computer Science - A memory in 64bit architecture has size 1,024Mbytes (note ...
- Algebra - Which of the following methods can be used to construct a pattern of ...
- Algebra 2 - Which of the following methods can be used to construct a pattern of...
- Computer science - Assume you have a computer that contains 1GB of memory. It ...
- college - a box contains 100 red chips, 100 white chips, and 100 blue chips! ...