Posted by AMY on Friday, January 14, 2011 at 8:43am.
I need to factor = 16s^6-2f^6
My answer is 2(s-8)
PLEASE HELP/FACTORING POLYNOMIALS - Reiny, Friday, January 14, 2011 at 8:53am
what happened to the f^6 ?
(If you expanded your answer would you get the original ?)
= 2(8s^6 - f^6)
now 8s^6 = (2s^2)^3 and f^6 = (f^2)^3 so
knowing that A^3 - B^3 = (A-B)(a^2 + AB + b^2)
2(8s^6 - f^6)
= 2(2s^2 - f^2)(4s^4 + 2s^2f^2 + f^4)
PLEASE HELP/FACTORING POLYNOMIALS - drwls, Friday, January 14, 2011 at 8:57am
How can 2s - 16 be the same as 16s^6-2f^6 ? Those functions are totally different. One is sixth order in s and is linear in s. One has f as a variable and the other does not.
16s^6 -2f^6 = 2(8s^6 - f^6)
= 2*(sqrt8 s^3 -f^3)(sqrt8 s^3+ f^3)
Further factoring of the cubic terms is possible. Look up how to factor a^3 - b^3 and a^3 + b^3.
PLEASE HELP/FACTORING POLYNOMIALS - AMY, Friday, January 14, 2011 at 9:51pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Factoring Polynomials - The book says: Find three different values that complete...
- Algebra (plz) - Factor the following polynomials: 4m^2-4mp+p^2 16s+56s+49 16c^2+...
- Liberal Arts Math - how would i solve this problem?? it says factor the ...
- Algebra: factoring - I need to find the value of x. 9x^3 + 9x = 30x^2 It's ...
- please, need help on factoring - factor x^3-(x+y)^3
- Math: Factoring - I'm having a hard time factoring polynomials, especially 3rd ...
- Factoring Polynomials - OH! I get it now! Thanks so much for helping me out ...
- Algebra 1 - Factoring Polynomials: 2x to the second power -3x-2 could you please...
- FACTORING POLYNOMIALS - How would you factor the problem: 7-23r+6r to the second...
- mat/117 - can someone please help me fiqure this out. factoring polynomials (C-5...