Posted by alex on Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 2:37am.
2H2(g) + O2(g) = 2H2O (l)
Calculate the volume of Hydrogen gas at STP required to produce an amount of energy equivalent to that produced by the combustion of a gallon of octane. The density of octane is 2.66 kg/gal, and its standard enthalpy of formation is -249.9 kJ/mol.
science - drwls, Wednesday, December 15, 2010 at 8:19am
This problem requires many steps, and I will just outline the process of solution.
(1) Each mole of H2O formed will release 57.8 kcal if carried out at STP with liquid H2O as the product. One mole of H2 will be consumed in the process. The actual process will have H2O (g) as a product, with the result that less usable heat is usually generated.
(2) Write the balanced reaction for the complete oxidation of octane.
(3) Use your stated heat of formation of octane (C8H18), and those of H2O and CO2, to determine the heat of reaction per mole of octane burned. Assume liquid H2O and gaseous CO2 as products
(4) Compare the heats of reaction per mole of H2 and mole of CO2 burned
(5) Convert 1 gallon of octane to moles and grams.
(6) Compute the heat release from burning one gallon of octane
(7) Compute the number of moles of H2 needed to release the same amount of heat
(8) Convert (7) to STP volume of H2
science - Anonymous, Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 10:34pm
no! im taking a timed quiz!!!
science - Anonymous, Thursday, February 20, 2014 at 10:52pm
is it 2.25 L??
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Science - Chemistry - Calculate the amount of energy a woman takes in during a ...
- CHEMISTRY - The enthalpy of cimbustion for Octane vapor, C8H18, a component of ...
- Science: Chemistry - Enthalpy - The enthalpy change in the combustion of the ...
- Chemistry - The enthalpy change in the combustion of the hydrocarbon octane is ...
- Chemistry - Assume that gas mileage is proportional to the total energy released...
- Chemistry - What volume of liquid water is produced from the combustion of 10.00...
- science - if the density of octane is 0.703 g/mol, how many gras of carbon ...
- Chemistry Octane Combustion - Write the balanced equation for the combustion of ...
- chem(REALLY NEED HELP ) - calculate the total mass of carbon dioxide gas ...
- Chemistry Science - calculate the mass of carbon dioxide that would be produced ...