Posted by Marissa on Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:01pm.
What steps do we use to change 1-1/2 cups in half?
- 6th grade - Writeacher, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:05pm
3/2 divided by 2 = 3/2 * 1/2 = ??
- 6th grade - Ms. Sue, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:06pm
Change 1 1/2 to an improper fraction.
(1/2) * (3/2) = 3/4
- 6th grade - Marissa, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:13pm
I was told that when dividing a mixed number you write the reciprocal of the second number and then multiply and that will change the answer.
- 6th grade - Ms. Sue, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:15pm
You only use the reciprocal when the original problem is a division problem.
Your problem is a straight multiplication problem.
- 6th grade - Marissa, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 7:55pm
Isn't this a division problem? I have to divide 1-1/2 into two parts.
- 6th grade - Ms. Sue, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 8:07pm
It's the same thing.
(3/2) / 2 = (3/2) * (1/2)
The simpler way is to remember that "of" in a math problem means to multiply.
(3/2) * (1/2) = 3/4
- 6th grade - Marissa, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 8:19pm
Thank you very much for your help. I had the same answer. I'm trying to explain the reciprocal to my daughter, she is worried that her teacher will say the answer is wrong.
- 6th grade - Ms. Sue, Thursday, December 9, 2010 at 8:40pm
You're very welcome.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Fractions - Well theres 1 half cup of tahini 2 thirds cups of 2 teaspoons of ...
- math - Jasmine put 10 cups of water in a bucket. If the bucket is half full, ...
- 6th grade math - How many oz are in 12 cups
- sixth grade math - Wendell is making punch for a party. The recipe he using says...
- 7th grade math Ms.Sue please! - Use cross products to see if each pair of ratios...
- ms.sue 5 grade math - In 24 hours, one set of twins drank 16 bottles of formula...
- Math - A=2 cups concentarte:3 cups water B=5 cups concentrate:9 cups water C=1 ...
- Math - Help, I need help on this.. For questions 3-5, use the recipe below. (I'...
- Ratios - Write this ratio as a fraction in lowest terms. (3 cups to 3 pints) ...
- math 6th grade - Maritza is baking cookies to bring to school that requires 3 ...