Posted by Sara! on .
are this sentences GERUNDS
1. in almost every american town, holding parades on the 4th of july is a tradition. ( IF its a gerund is the gerund used as a subject)
2.the keeping of the fast of ramadan occurs during the 9th month of the islamic calender.(IF its a gerund which one is it keeping or during)
3. but when the sun sets, muslims can stop their fasting and celebrate their holy month called Eid.( IF its a gerund is it used direct object)
4.american muslims celebrate this religious festival by fasting during the day. (IF its a gerund which is it)
A sentence is not a gerund. A word may be a gerund.
1. yes, subject
3. fasting is a direct object
4. Fasting is the only gerund in the sentence.
2. Keeping is a gerund, the subject of the verb occurs.
4. Fasting is the object of the preposition "by."