Posted by Chris on Sunday, May 2, 2010 at 11:33pm.
the statue of liberty is 150 feet tall, and stands on a 150 foot pedestal. How far from the base should you stand to have the statue subtend the largest possible angle at your camera lens, assuming the camera is held 5 feet off the ground and the ground is flat?
math - Reiny, Monday, May 3, 2010 at 1:01am
Before I type out a rather lengthy solution, does your book have an answer of x = 206.8 feet ?
math - Daniel, Monday, May 3, 2010 at 1:33am
Hi, this is a worksheet problem so i do not have the answer to it. It came with a pic though. Here is the link. Thanks.
math - Reiny, Monday, May 3, 2010 at 8:19am
nice, I had appr. the same figure,
let's call the other angle b
then tanb = 145/x
tan(Ø+b) = 295/x
we know tan(Ø+b - b) = (tan(Ø+b) - tanb)/(1 + tan(Ø+b)tanb)
tanØ = (295/x - 145/x) / ( 1 + (295/x)(145/x))
= (150/x) / (x^2 + 42775)/x2)
= 150x/(x^2 + 42775)
sec^2Ø dØ/dx = [ (x^2+42775)(150 - 2x(150x) ]/(x^2 + 42775)^2
= 0 for a max/min of Ø
[ (x^2+42775)(150 - 2x(150x) ]/(x^2 + 42775)^2 = 0
(x^2+42775)(150 - 2x(150x) = 0
150x^2 + 6416250 - 300x^2 = 0
x^2 = 42775
x = 206.8
then tanØ = (150(206.8)) / (206.3^2 + 42775)
tan Ø = .362632
Ø = 19.9° or 3479 radians
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- geometry - A 5-foot tall girl stands 15 feet from a statue. She must look at an ...
- math - The Statue of Liberty is about 151 feet tall. If the angle of elevation ...
- Geometry - A 5 foot tall woman stands 15ft from a statue. She must look up at an...
- Geometry - A 5 foot tall woman stands 15 ft from a statue. She must look up at ...
- Trigonometry - If someone could tell me if this is correct, it would really help...
- math - you are standing 15 feet from a statue the angle of the elevation from ...
- Calculus - A statue 10 feet high is standing on a base 13 feet high. If an ...
- Precalculus - 1. A man stands 12 feet from a statue. The angle of elevation from...
- Calculus - A statue 5m high is standing on a base 8m high. Is an observer's eye ...
- physics - A camera is supplied with two interchangeable lenses, whose focal ...