Posted by christopher on Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 8:31pm.
.the subject of the sentence is first person, then the verb must be in what form?
Verbs indicate what?
Verbs may also indicate what?
Verbs express what?
What does agreement in number mean?
subjects and verbs are either both singular or plural
your topic sentence is correct
subjects and verbs agree in gender
you inserted commas in the correct places in the sentence
What is a "buried subject"?
when you have a compound subject
using an indefinite pronoun as a subject
when a sentence lacks a subject
when it is difficult to find the sentence subject, as it may be placed among many other words
What is a collective noun?
nouns such as team and committee
a plural word as a subject
a title or company name
an indefinite pronoun
Question 8 Which of the following is a compound subject?
cats and dogs
cats or dogs
each girl or boy
Which of the following is an indefinite pronoun?
Question 10 When do subjects and verbs agree, and why is it important that they agree?
Question 11 Please correct the sentence below, changing word choice where needed. There are a popular sandwich shop in our area that serves the meats, cheeses, and dressings on the sandwich and top the fillings with french fries and coleslaw.
Subject-verb agreement occurs when the subject and verb agree in number and ________.
To find the subject of a sentence when it is buried among other words, disregard ________.
To find the subject of a sentence when it is buried among other words, disregard _______.
whom , which and why clauses
whom , which , and where clauses
who , which , and that clauses
who , which , and whatever clauses
When the subject words are joined by either . . . or , the verb agrees with the _______ subject wor ____________________.
When the subject words are joined by ______, the verb agrees with the closest subject wor ____________________.
whether or not
an indefinite article
to be or . . . not to be
not only . . . but also
Though civics has an Ñ s plural ending, it takes a/an _______.
Use singular verbs for _______.
names of companies
collective nouns when they refer to members acting individually
words such as jeans and thanks
Use plural verbs for ________.
words such as pants and eyeglasses
titles of written works
words such as economics and physics
an amount as a subject
The word _______ always takes a singular verb, regardless of what follows it.
5.subjects and verbs are either both singular or plural
6.when it is difficult to find the sentence subject, as it may be placed among many other words
7.nouns such as team and committee
8.cats and dogs
18.names of companies
19.words such as economics and physics
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 8:41pm
You've posted several long assignments.
I'll give you some help on the questions you've left blank.
10. Subjects and verbs should always agree so that there is no confusion about who is doing the action.
11. Would you really say "There are a sandwich shop"?
13. Prepositional phrases. When I taught 7th and 8th grade English, the students learned to find the prepositional phrases before finding subject and verb.
14. I'd disregard all clauses.
16. not only . . . but also
17. Civics is singular
- English - christopher, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:07pm
so 13 is prepositional phrases
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:12pm
Look what you'd have if you put parentheses around all of the prepositional phrases.
One of my best friends in school is going to Hawaii for her vacation.
One (of my best friends) (in school) is going (to Hawaii) (for her vacation).
All that's left is the subject and verb.
- English - christopher, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:16pm
all others i filled in are correct?
- English - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, April 20, 2010 at 9:16pm
I didn't check the others.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - 1.the subject of the sentence is first person, then the verb must be ...
- English - I have a question about the point of view of this would be story; It ...
- English - First, Second or Third person "Do you love candy?" I asked my friend ...
- French-Simple question - Im trying to find out what each person is studying. ...
- british lit - the narrator of heart of darkness by joseph conrad is (A) second ...
- English - A narrator who uses pronouns such as he, she, and they and knows all ...
- English - When using pronouns such as you, your, and yours, you're writing in ...
- English - Indicate if written in First Person or Third Person 1. I watched Jason...
- English - Writeacher, I urgently need you to check these sentences. Thank you. 1...
- basic english - The gist of the saying went something like this: If a person ...