Posted by Sammy on Friday, February 5, 2010 at 7:42am.
A force of 4.3 x 10-15 N acts between an electric dipole with dipole moment 2.3 x 10-29 C m and an electron.
How far away from the dipole is the electron located when it travels along the dipole axis?
- Physics - bobpursley, Friday, February 5, 2010 at 10:13am
Find E for the dipole at some distance r.
dipolemoment= qd where q is the charge, and d is the separtation. So q= 2.3E-29/d
E= kq(1/(r-d/2)^2 -1/(r+d/2)^2)
ok, combine those, knowing q= 2.3E-29/d
Some algebra is required. It is not hard.
It should reducte to something like
E= k 2.3E-29/r^3
Now force is Ee where e is the charge on an electron.
Solve for r.
- Physics - drwls, Friday, February 5, 2010 at 10:18am
The electric field at a distance r from a dipole of moment p, at a point that is located along the axis of the dipole, is E(r) = [2/(4 pi epsilono)]* p/r^3
You should be able to find this equation in your textbook or notes somewhere, or on the internet. Usually it is in vector form, because the force depends upon dipole orientation as well as separation. The equation abobe is from the text of Reitz and Milford
Set e*E(r) = 4.3 x 10-15 N and solve for the separation,r.
1/(4 pi epsilono) is often abbreviated as the "Coulomb constant" , k
- Physics - anonymous, Friday, February 11, 2011 at 11:04pm
they gave u qd which is dipole moment.
They gave u F (in N).
e0 is a constant (8.55*10^-12)
E=F/charge of electron
isolate for x^3= #
cube root that number and now u have distance in meters.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- physics - I am getting 0.144 nm for this but I didnt make use of the force. Do ...
- Physics - Three charges are arranged in an equilateral triangle with sides of 4 ...
- Physics - Which statement about the electric dipole moment is true? u=qd a) A ...
- physics! - An electric dipole consists of 2.0 g spheres charged to 5.0 nC (...
- Physics - Charged particles such as ions can separate the charges inside of ...
- college physics - An electric dipole consists of 2.0 g spheres charged to 5.0 nC...
- College Physics - An electric dipole consists of 2.0 g spheres charged to 5.0 nC...
- chemistry - What is the strongest intermolecular force that occurs between ...
- Chemistry - how do you know the stronger dipole moment between molecules? My ...
- CHEM - What forces hold iodine particles together??? Intermolecular forces ...